yakdriver

Well Known Member
After 16 months of construction I flew my RV7 212MD (Mad Dog or Manic Depressive, your choice)today. Flight went well and the engine ran very smooth. Have a heavy left wing but I think I have that figured out. I think this will be a fast one as I was indicating 182mph and ground speed was 170kts into the wind and 190kts the other way. That's with no wheelpants or gear fairings. I have a James Cowl plenum and inlets and the CHTs were within 25 degrees of each other. So chalk up another RV grin. Don

Congratulations, Don. It must be a great feeling to get in the air after all the engine stuff you've gone through.

Great job, can't wait to see it again.

Hey Don, I stole this pic from the other site and posted it for you.

N212MD.jpg

Like Brandon said, nice Checkoway paint scheme.;)

Looks good to me though, I'm happy for you.

Merry Christmas to yourself

Way to go, Don!!!

Congratulations on your first flight. Wishing you an uneventful phase 1.

b,
d

congrats too from CA don. I am going to go pour another glass of white wine and toast your plane and you!

James Cowl?

Don,

I noticed that it looks like your cowl is the stock Vans. I am curious how you incorporated the Vans cowl with the James plenum?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott, On my drive to Vans last May, I took this pic of Don's cowl. He used the Vans cowl, then adapted the James rings into it, also used the intake ring. I recall he said it was a fair amount of work.

cid_024b01c816b7939a535029fa1848dch.jpg

Don,

I noticed that it looks like your cowl is the stock Vans. I am curious how you incorporated the Vans cowl with the James plenum?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott, I had Sam make me a layup of the front of his cowl about 6" back. I then grafted them on the stock Vans cowl. It was a LOT of work but if I did it again it probably wouldn't be to bad. If you are going to run a carb just get the James shorty cowl. I have made three flights with mine now and the cylinder head temps are within 30 degrees from the low o the high. Also the ram air is giving me over 11/2" more map. I think all the work is going to be worth it. Don