pierre smith

Well Known Member
Good mornin' everybody,
We have 63 hours on our 6A and have to put on a new tire since it wore through on the outside edge. It probably has around 200 landings on it. I was told that the tires from Van are really cheapos so I bought Airhawks. How many hours/landings do you guys with the 6A/7A see?
Pierre

ps. if I had flipped the tire sooner it probably would have added ten or more hours

Same observation

Replaced mine during the annual just completed. Approximately 135 landings and 176 hours total time. Could have "flipped them on the hubs to put the unworn inboard side on the outboard side but didn't. Could just see the impression of the cord in the rubber. Went one grade higher and will consider doing it differently on this set.

Bob Axsom

Another idea to consider: It seems like every year Avrey does a sale of good tires + airstop tubes on this site - worth buying when the time comes.

Tires

I got 80 hours on my original Van's tires (RV-6), and 230 hours on my next set (Goodyear flight specials- $75.00 each). I have Desser retreads now because a couple guys in my formation group has had good luck with them and they only cost about $35.00 each.

Scott

tire wear

I have 268 hours on my 9A and just changed the front tire. The new mains are sitting on the work bench at the hanger waiting to go on also. While all three were worn, they were not at the point where they really needed changing yet. I did the front because I had the front apart to change to the new style fork and decided to go ahead and change it. The mains will likely be changed in the next couple of weeks more to install the Air Leak tubes than because the tires are worn out. I hate having to fill the mains every month and am hoping that the new tubes do the trick.

With the tires wearing so fast on your 6A I'm wondering if you might be riding the brakes when taking off and landing. To keep my feet off of the brake pedals I put the balls of my feet on the outside frames of the rudder pedals when taking off and landing. Once on the ground after landing I slip them over the brake pedals. It felt kind of weird at first, but now feels totally normal.

Regards,

Flat tire-bummer!

With about 65 hrs on my '92 era tires, I had planned on changing mains this week due to visible wear and age. However, a friend wanted a ride, so over to Griffin we went to buy a little petrol.

You guessed it! On landing at Griffin (20 miles from the home airport) the right main blew. The touchdown was normal (and smooth), but as we were about to turn off the runway, the right wing settled down and all rolling ceased on the right main. The plane was resting on the bottom of the right wheel pant. What a bummer! Almost dark and 20 miles from my tools!

However, Don Swords (DAR-Don's Dream Machines) happened to be at his hanger working on his classic car. Don loaned me an old tire and a jack/tools. In an hour we were airborne and headed home. Thanks Don! You are a gentleman as well as an excellent DAR!

Moral of the story: Keep an eye on the condition of your tires. Check them before leaving on a trip if you suspect they will need changing soon. Being stuck in the middle of a lonely airstrip is no fun.
img0056ph0.jpg

Last edited: