SARV6

I'm New Here
Hi, we are really struggling to find the right prop for this a/craft engine combination. Ideally a c/s prop would be the answer, but it is too heavy ... Any RV6a owners out there with a 200hp engine as above getting good performance with a fixed pitch prop ?

Thanks, Keith

I have a 200hp IO-360-A2B angle valve now with a Catto 3 blade FP prop on an RV6. It is 70" x 75" and it works great although the static is a bit low.

I get sustained climb about 1600-1700 fpm, and about 178-180kts wot at 2000". I am very happy with Catto and his customer service.

Search for G-NPKJ for pictures

Regards

Mark Turner

Last edited:
I also have a three blade Catto on my IO-360-A3B6D. It is a 66x78 and I love it. I only get 2150 RPM static, but a full 2750 RPM at 190 kts.

Angle Valve in a Six...

Hi, we are really struggling to find the right prop for this a/craft engine combination. Ideally a c/s prop would be the answer, but it is too heavy ... Any RV6a owners out there with a 200hp engine as above getting good performance with a fixed pitch prop ?

Thanks, Keith

Keith,
Ditto on Catto. Craig and I have been friends for over 15 years and I was honored to test the first Catto RV prop on my original RV4, "The Bandit".
My current "RVX" is an RV6 fuselage mated to RV4 wings and tail. It has a Catto 2 blade and with only 150 horses on tap, easily indicates 170 Knots flat out at 2800.

I have considered replacing the 0-320ND (conical) witn an HIO-360 (angle valve conical). I received an incredible amount of great information from Bruce Black, an Aussie who did a fantastic job installing one in his RV6. He too used a Catto 3 blade with very impressive results. I can't say enough about Craig's product and service "post-sale"...

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
I have an HIO 360-C1A fitted, I too had the problem of ?which Prop??
My problem was solved by Craig Catto. I just sent all the details of what I had engine wise and what I hoped to get performance wise.
Craig built me a prop and sent it all the way down under. It arrived well packaged Once fitted performed to all expectations It does have a low static RPM (2050) and I have a ground roll that just exceeds the factory numbers (just over 600ft) but once in the air I climb initially 1800 FPM at 100Knots this drops of as altitude is gained and when I increase my normal climb speed to 110knots
At 8000ft I can cruise at 180knots at 2750rpm 44litres hr (11.5 gals)
Straight and level my normal cruise power is 2250rpm gives me 138 knots and a fuel burn of 23 liters (About 6 gals) so I go for the economy power settings it?s a lot quieter in the cabin and a lot easier on the pocket and 138knt TAS is a lot better than most bug smashers out there.
So in one e-mail, Craig had solved all my procrastinations, problems and worries with regard to the propeller issue. You will find it hard to find another person who knows his stuff and has an excellent customer service record.