Are you saying the wheel binds up while still in line with the direction you are moving the plane, or that the wheel swings over and drags sidewise a bit.

Not easy

just keep the front wheel straight or the turn angle you need, it is an art to push it backwards and make it go where you want. Like a balancing act; but you can adapt a tow bar to that front wheel. Either use the existing axle or put additional bolts in front of the axle with standard Cessna dimensions. I used the latter method and has worked well for over 10 years. Since I used Cessna dimensions it is easy on trips and I never carry my tow bar. Another tip; plan ahead and keep your backwards needs short. Avoid any helpers pushing on one wing, either both wings or none.

Just to be clear, you're not talking about it hitting the stop when you let it caster while trying to push the plane backward?

The later....binds hard

This conflicts with the second poster's question - it is either the binding (former) or the swinging (latter).

If the wheel bearings are preventing the wheel from rolling, please see this thread. Do not fly until you've studied that thread, paying particular attention to the parts about the wheel bearing system.

6A Ground Handling

Bite the bullet and buy the outrageously expensive Bogert tow bar. I tried several others and nothing really worked, especially trying to move on grass.
I have to admit their tow bar makes an almost impossible task doable. You still need to move slowly or it will get away from you but just keep control of the handle and you can push her whatever direction you want, Its especially easy on pavement. Worked for me

Remove the stops

Ground handling is way easier if you remove the stops. You won't have to worry about others damaging your nose gear while ground handling your plane, you can push the plane backwards and steer it easily (the wheel swings around backwards), and you no longer have the risk of shearing the mounting bolt. The only downside is be sure the nose wheel is back in position before starting or the prop will hit the pant. Plus you will save weight.
LeRoy Johnston RV-6A Esperanza 1000+ hrs

Bite the bullet and buy the outrageously expensive Bogert tow bar. I tried several others and nothing really worked, especially trying to move on grass.
I have to admit their tow bar makes an almost impossible task doable. You still need to move slowly or it will get away from you but just keep control of the handle and you can push her whatever direction you want, Its especially easy on pavement. Worked for me

+1 on the outrageously expensive part, though it does work quite nicely.

Ground handling is way easier if you remove the stops. You won't have to worry about others damaging your nose gear while ground handling your plane, you can push the plane backwards and steer it easily (the wheel swings around backwards), and you no longer have the risk of shearing the mounting bolt. The only downside is be sure the nose wheel is back in position before starting or the prop will hit the pant. Plus you will save weight.
LeRoy Johnston RV-6A Esperanza 1000+ hrs

So, either buy a good towbar and deal with the weight, or take a chance on an engine teardown when you forget to check the nosewheel on startup. Hmmm, I know what I would choose.

I've owned 6A for 15 years and never owned or used a tow bar with it. I have use a tow bar on other peoples RVs but don't really care for it. It's easier for me to steer and have more control by holding on to the prop at the hub and pushing. After the first few push backs in to the hangar it has not been a problem...unless someone try's to help out by pushing on a wing...that will screw me up every time.

Of course YMMV.

Tow Bar

I built a tow bar out of 1/2" conduit and it works great but wouldn't fit in the plane so I built another that I carry in the plane that is collapsible that doubles as a gust lock.

RV 12 towbar

Try the RV 12 towbar. It's very light and collapses to a small size. I've used one on my 6A for over a year and it hasn't broken. John

I just tow it around by the nose?

I am with Jaws. I just tow it around by holding the prop right in at the hub. Is this bad for a CS prop? I figured as long as I was gentle it was ok. I have to get a little momentum going to get up over the lip of the hangar. I tow it in nose first, and then do a 180 in the hangar to the parking spot.

Geoff

lifting the little grocery cart wheel in the air.

Depending on your weight and height... in a pinch you can push the tail down and turn yourself backwards. You sort of "capture" the horizontal with your butt and walk it backwards. I am not sure how easily the 6A will rock back on the mains though.... maybe someone else here has tried it and can add some info. I do it with the 9A.

Depending on your weight and height... in a pinch you can push the tail down and turn yourself backwards. You sort of "capture" the horizontal with your butt and walk it backwards. I am not sure how easily the 6A will rock back on the mains though.... maybe someone else here has tried it and can add some info. I do it with the 9A.

I usually discourage this practice because pushing in the wrong place or doing it in the wrong way' could over time cause structural damage (years ago, Cessna had to issue a SB because of flight schools doing this a lot with C-172's)

What Doug said. :)