The RV7 I had hoped to purchase appears destined to be sold to another, so I began searching again. I have found an RV6 that I am interested in and just learned that it was converted from an RV6A. Other than the quality of the workmanship, are there any inherent problems/dangers I should be concerned about when this conversion has taken place? Thanks.

Joe.

As long as the work was done correctly there shouldn't be any problem. That process would involve, swapping the engine mount, moving the main gear (In a -6 that might involve drilling new ones) moving the brake lines, figuring out a way to cover the holes that would be left in the bottom of the airplane and installing the tailwheel.

The worst part of the transition would be the tailwheel spring installation in the rear bulkheads. I'd take a good close look at that. There'd be new fairings involved too.

They may or may not have removed the old landing gear mounts. I wouldn't think that would matter one way or another except for the obvious weight disadvantages. If they did remove them make sure that the spar bolts were replaced with the correct ones.

It wouldn't be a fun transition, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it. The other way (6 => 6A) would probably be easier but morally questionable. :)

BTW I built a -7 so I am making a few assumptions. I believe the geometry is pretty much the same in the -6 but someone correct me if I am wrong.

From Rosie: Their is also a difference in the tailcone section where the RV-6 is beefed up with, I believe, a double bulkhead placed back to back where the Horizontal attaches to the fuselage. I recall the attach bars in the RV-6 formed a 'V' and in the RV-6A they were parallel.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Phil said.......

is pretty much right on. The main gear towers in the A are pretty much a matter of just unbolting. Toughest part is securing the tail wheel spring. I almost converted my 6 to an A, and studied on this for a while. Finally decided to leave it alone as a 6. Glad I did. It will be apparent if a good conversion was done.

RV7

Joe: I have a friend who is selling his RV7, basic VFRs, steam gages, 80 hrs since everthing new 180 hp, FP prop.
Al

RV6 FS

There is a really nice RV-6 (listed on Barnstormers ) and based here at Hicks T67. I built it, 1996, they are asking north of 59.5K, 180 Lyc, Sensenich. Night VFR. Fort Worth, TX

Last edited by a moderator: