grundyde1

I'm New Here
I'm looking to buy an unfinished RV ? 6. Can someone tell me if RV ? 6's are guided by AC No: 20-27G or Prior Policy [AC No: 20-27F]?

The RV-6 kit was evaluated and listed on the approved kit list well prior to 9/30/2009 (the 30 year anniversary of the introduction of the kit is next year at OSH), so as long as it can be proven that no commercial build assistance has taken place up until this point, it would be eligible to be certified under the original checklist/process.

Edit: Check THIS document for a list of FAA evaluated/approved kits, and the date that approval occurred.

Last edited:
RV - 6 Certification

Thanks for the quick reply.

However I still don't know what to use.

?Assuming there was no commercial build assistance has taken place up to this point, it would be eligible to be certified under the original checklist/process?

Can you tell me exactly what the original checklist/process is?

The only forms you will use is the normal application forms.

The evaluation form is used by the person (DAR, FAA inspector, etc.) doing your airworthiness inspection. In this case they would be able to use the Form 8000-38.

I suggest you read through all of the parts of the AC that you referenced in you first post, and comply with all of the things listed to be done by the builder. If you do this, and have proof that no commercial contracted work was done during the build (prior owners build log/photos, etc.) then you would have no problem.

... and have proof that no commercial contracted work was done during the build ...

Proving a negative is next to impossible. I always figured that if challenged I'd point to some of my less than perfect work and ask if they'd pay someone for that.

Proving a negative is next to impossible. I always figured that if challenged I'd point to some of my less than perfect work and ask if they'd pay someone for that.

All depends on how you look at it I guess.....

I know of quite a few RV's that had work for hire done on them (beyond what would be allowed) and enough proof:rolleyes: was supplied to the inspector for it to get certified as E-AB.
If someone can supply enough evidence and answer questions with acceptable answers, it is not likely that an inspector will call them a lair. I am not saying that is right, just saying that someone that is using due diligence to do things right, is not likely to have any trouble.

--- (prior owners build log/photos, etc.)---

This is the key, most inspectors will take that as "proof".