WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I recently picked up a pre-owned Empennage and Wing kit. The seller didn't have the builders manual where the kits were stored and is supposed to ship it to me. In the meantime I'd like to move forward with what I can and build the wing jig. I didn't see anything in the wing plans for the jig, so I am assuming it is in the builders manual. Does anyone have an electronic copy of that page/pages from the manual they can pass along so I don't have to let this perfectly good building weekend go to waste?

Thanks,

Colin

There's nothing in the manual explicitly about the jig. Many people have gone with floor-to-ceiling posts; others have built free-standing jigs, even out of steel. Since I was building in an apartment living room, I spent a little time on my jig. You can read about it here, with a drawing and dimensions.

I spent a bit more than I would have otherwise in order to make the jig capable of disassembly. Metal post fixtures, carriage bolts, threaded rod and turnbuckles added up. I still have the parts in my hangar though I will probably never build another wing on them. If I had been in a situation where I knew I would not be moving during the build, I would have built a permanently assembled jig for simplicity; drywall screws instead of bolts, plywood gussets instead of metal post fixtures, and so on.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, the dimensions on your website will be very helpful. I'm building in my garage, so I will probably just go with wood for simplicity. Thanks

Look at RV6 builder web sites

Hi All,

I recently picked up a pre-owned Empennage and Wing kit. The seller didn't have the builders manual where the kits were stored and is supposed to ship it to me. In the meantime I'd like to move forward with what I can and build the wing jig. I didn't see anything in the wing plans for the jig, so I am assuming it is in the builders manual. Does anyone have an electronic copy of that page/pages from the manual they can pass along so I don't have to let this perfectly good building weekend go to waste?

Thanks,

Colin

Colin,
Vans tells you to make the uprights out of 4X4 lumber. This lumber gets tied into the concrete floor and ceiling of your garage or room in your apartment.
The main issue is to constantly check the level of the cross bars, as they will sag (even steel ones) as the weight of the wing increases, from adding parts.
Check out some of the RV builder web sites for photos of their jigs. This should help.

http://www.flion.com/rv6a/chap03.htm

Charlie Kuss