Cuatro

my RV6 has both mains in the toe out position. the eat tires on the inside edge of the tire.

What is the best method to correct this?

I'll be interested in the responses to this question.

Every RV-6 I look at seems to differ in this angle. One theory I have is that it relates to empty weight. My RV-6 at 1025 lbs wears the outside of the tyres, where as my hanger mate's RV-6 at 1150 lbs sits with the wheels nearly vertical.

What is the weight of your RV-6?

Doug Gray

I'll be interested in the responses to this question.

Every RV-6 I look at seems to differ in this angle. One theory I have is that it relates to empty weight. My RV-6 at 1025 lbs wears the outside of the tyres, where as my hanger mate's RV-6 at 1150 lbs sits with the wheels nearly vertical.

What is the weight of your RV-6?

Doug Gray

Mine is the same way at 1030 lbs...

I dunno how to fix the issue. I just rotate the tires occasionally.

My weight? dont know, bought a finished 6 that had been taken apart for paint. It had 197 hours on it. I did the paint, got it back in one piece, new garmin panel. Much more work than i thought.

Now my tires ware bad, i was doing my tailwheel and training in it putting lots of stress on the wheels. Got a new set of monster retreads on last night and fly today. All worked well but the wind was 16 gusting 25. easy for a veteran, not as as smooth with a new rv pilot and new to tail wheel. But made it work. I do need to fix them sooner or later.

Any ideas would be great.

Here's an idea

Weigh your airplane and complete the weight and balance calculations. Your uneven tire wear is small stuff.

YEP!

I believe that weight & balance calculations are required to legally fly an airplane.
Very difficult to accomplish without knowing the weight of the aircraft.

Axle shims are available from Van's which will help some. The key to fixing the problem is to get accurate measurements. Best way I know is to fill the tanks with 1/2 fuel and simulate the pilot's weight with sand bags. Measure in a three point stance on grease plates and be prepared to be surprised at how much the leg swings the tire around! Get it as close to zero as you can for the best handling.

Due to the nature of the gear leg design, the toe is going to change with weight and stance.

Yep. I used them on my -6. I can't remember if they are -8 or -4 parts. (I think)

Okay, now you've got me thinking. I can't seem to picture in my mind how the axle attaches to the gear leg on the -6. That was fifteen years ago so my memory is a little clouded. I might have gotten the shims from Grove come to think of it.

Last edited:
I can't seem to picture in my mind how the axle attaches to the gear leg on the -6.

It's not attached per se, it's a single piece of rod that's bent. Nothing to shim. You'd have to either change the angle of the gear inside the engine mount socket, or somehow bend the axle back. Seems like a tall task trying to bend it back. Probably better off filling in the holes in the engine mount socket and re-drilling, assuming you have a good way to match drill to the holes in the gear legs.

I don't think that "RV-6 wheel alignment" exists.

The wheels in most of Van's fleet are the same. You get what you get.

Bruce Patton
RV-6A
Flying since 99

Yep, I think you are right. I must have used shims on my first Rocket rather than the -6. Sorry to get this off track but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Gear

The RV6 gear is similar to the original Wittman Tailwind gear. The RV6 gear is 7/8" diameter at the two smallest parts compared to 3/4" diameter for the original Tailwind. Tailwind builders have sucessfully bent the gear cold by slipping a long tube over the axle and using a lot of muscle. This puts a LOT of stress on the engine mount so do this at your own risk. An alternative is to elongate the holes in the socket tube and weld a thick washer to the outside of the socket to reposition the gear. If you have someone who is an artist with a TIG, very small tack welds can be made with the gear leg in place to establish the new position. The gear is then removed and the washers finish welded. Access to the aft side will probably require removal of the mount. On the Tailwind the standard is 1/16 toe in measured along each axle. As the airplane is loaded the gear bending is such that most of the toe in will be gone. Toe out is not desireable. Steve Wittman was the inventor and patent holder for both the flat and round spring gear.