sjrossi

Finishing an RV6, doing the wings last. Have the nice Phlogiston spar. Dwg 20 shows a AN3-12 bolt attaching the tiedown to the spar, going through the top flange strips. That hole does not exist in my spars and I will have to drill it. I've drilled through the spar web to attach the ribs and have drilled through the spar flanges for the skins, but all of the other holes that were required, for the AN3 bolts that attach the ribs, were already in the spar. I'm just looking for some reassurance before I drill through those flange stips. It's only through the flange strips at the top of the wing (probably typically in compression). The tiedown attaches differently at the bottom of the wing, not through the flange strips but through the web and to the reinforcement angle. Anybody remember how they did it on their 6? Thanks.

Scott - You're in luck - I've got a set of RV6 wings in my shop that were damaged during a storm, bottom skin is off in the area you're asking about, so I took a pic. Top of wing is at the right, you can just see the tiedown hole at the left.

IMG_20160412_160441977_zpswptqrdvt.jpg.html

Scott, I just looked at my dwg 20 and your interpretation of how it is done is correct. The top AN3 bolt goes through both the spar web and the flange strip, the bottom AN3 bolt goes through the spar web only. Also one bolt at 90 degrees through the angle piece.