mabsten

I'm New Here
Overhead canopy latch broke off where it hooks when you turn handle to latch.Cant find where to buy latch and cant fly till I can latch it or replace top of latch that latches. Any help. New to Vans and RV 6 Thanks Mike

Overhead canopy latch broke off where it hooks when you turn handle to latch.Cant find where to buy latch and cant fly till I can latch it or replace top of latch that latches. Any help. New to Vans and RV 6 Thanks Mike

Is it the aluminum latch that broke, or the latch pin on the rollbar? If it is the aluminum, you can just make a new one from 0.063 or order from vans (PN C-654-1). If it is the latch pin on the rollbar, you will have to weld a new one on.

Edit: Even if you order the parts from vans, it requires fitting, not just a bolt-on and go part.

@mabsten, if you haven't already, I highly recommend buying the RV-6 plans from Van's to match your airplane. They are available digitally, and are a great reference for someone who owns a plane that they didn't build.

If the broken part is shown on the plans, the Van's factory will be able to help you find a replacement and if the plans don't help they should be able to help you figure out how to repair it as well. You may still want to enlist a local RV builder to help with fabrication if you're new to that as well.