WISC

Well Known Member
I have asked a few A&Ps with considerable RV experience and neither are interested in the job of replacing a slider canopy and window. (A plane is for sale that the canopy will need to be replaced sooner than later.)

This leads to a couple of thoughts/questions:
1. If an A&P is turning down the job then it must truly be a pain and beyond my skill level to do it myself. I am not a builder. Is this a true assumption?

2. Any recommendations on someone who would do it?

3. Any guess on the cost to replace the windshield and canopy?

Thank you

Canopy

Why don't you post some pix of the problem areas and plane.

Is any of the glass broken, or just crazed/scratched ?

You can do a lot with an imperfect canopy. There are also people around corporate jets/turbine shops who polish and repair damage.

There are kits available at Vans and Spruce,etc for polishing out blemishes.

You probably could do the job if you looked at the builder blogs and posts available on VAF, but it is a pain!

Show us and stand by for advice!

I don't own the plane. I am curious of the cost to replace the canopy and front windshield. The photos I do have don't show the issues clearly enough to discuss solutions. I appreciate your suggestions. Unfortunately, I am not close enough to get more photos.
Sincerely,

I am in the process of replacing my canopy frame and canopy. I have to say that the canopy followed by the windscreen are the 2 most difficult and time consuming tasks in building the airplane, but most of that is fitting the canopy frame. If you are just replacing the plexi, that is much easier. You can only buy the complete canopy/windscreen as a single piece so you get both in any case.
I would think that replacing the plexi in an otherwise good canopy frame is much easier.
I am not sure if that helps much. You can price the canopy and shipping from Vans. It is hard to estimate the labor, but it will be at least a couple of days with a helper for the canopy. If the windscreen is on with fiberglass, most of the fiberglass will end up being reworked. That will take awhile.