v6/7 gear leg length,engine mount ; are they the same?

Hello! If I could get a total length and length from top of leg to where the gear begins its bend at bottom.
Thanks a bunch.

mount and gear for 6

I replaced the engine mount and the right gear leg on a 1991 RV6 about 5 months ago. I bought it damaged from ground loop, the 7 parts fit fine on it. I still have the old engine mount When I get back to the hangar next week I can give you some measurements.

So, if I understand the rv7 gear legs fit the rv6 mount? Sound like they use same mount and legs. Cool

Hmmmmmm, need more input ... I'll have to check part numbers for sure

gear

I think they will tell you the same thing they told me, send the old mount in to see. My 6 had the mount and gear both replaced in its past, didn't appear that the weldaments were modified since build. The older mounts and gear had to be drilled for bolts/alignment when installing, the newer {7}are predrilled both mount and gear for the bolts and are aligned. Best I have heard the RV4 had shorter and longer gear legs. Possible the 6 also? Mine are RV7 mount and gear and looks to be normal attitude. If you haven't solved it by late next week I can get you my old mount measurements center to center on all but one of the firewall attach bolt holes. It is a 7 mount and as long as it fits your firewall the gear should be no issue as long as you order all new mount and gear. But yep best to talk to Vans for sure

Pretty sure their different. Years ago when the 7A showed first up on the scene I asked one of the guys at the Vans booth at Oshkosh if I could install a 7 nose gear leg on my 6A to get the tail up a little. He said I'd probably have a prop strike and that the 7A. engine mounts and gear are completely different.

Gear leg length

I found a mount but, without knowing gear leg length I'm not sure if it will work.
Gear legs on the mount I found measure 41" from top of gear leg to where bend for axle starts. Is this same measurement for rv7/9?

I think some are confusing the A models with the TD models. The A models 6A versus the7A have different gear. I believe the 6 TD FWF kit is now the 7TD FWF kit.
The problem might be if the holes have been drilled for the gear legs or if the legs have been drilled and they ares the early ones. There is a way around this scenario but it could be a hassle. Larry

Default v6/7 gear leg length,engine mount ; are they the same?

Yah, I see that. I'm just concerned with the tail dragger gear rv7.

Last edited:
Default v6/7 gear leg length,engine mount ; are they the same?

Ok folks,mystery solved! I finally got through to Van's parts today and the answer is....

Rv6,7,9 (conventional gear) share the same gear legs.
BUT, Rv9 has a different sweep built into mount!

Hope this information helps others.

Thank you again Vans Air Force people for you comments and help!

I'm pretty sure the 6 and 7 are the same. The 9 has slightly longer legs due to the slower stall speed need for a full stall 3 point landing.