If I buy an RV6 with the floor mounted old style rudder pedals, is it much of a giant problem to convert over to the new hanging style? I am an A&P if that helps your answer. Regarding the pedal design, is there some overriding wonderful benefit to the new style.
I have already learned, I hope correctly, that conversion to electric flaps and electric trim are no big deals. If someone disagrees, speak up. THANKS!:cool:

Broken tube

A friend of mine had his very early floor mounted break in flight at one of the welded junctions. Fortunately he had a pilot with "a little tail wheel experience" in the right seat. It ended good. I think your floor mounted are fine, but make sure the tubes have the proper gussets. If not have some welded on.

Steve "the builders coach"

<snip> Regarding the pedal design, is there some overriding wonderful benefit to the new style.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! You and your passenger can extend (stretch) your legs out under the pedals which is worth it's weight in Gold on long cross-country flights... I would know (and my 5'10" brother can verify) :D Rosie

daddy long legs

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! You and your passenger can extend (stretch) your legs out under the pedals which is worth it's weight in Gold on long cross-country flights... I would know (and my 5'10" brother can verify) :D Rosie

(...and Paul's six foot six inch friend can also verify..... :) )

Jim Baker
RV-6
overhead rudder pedals

If the floor mounted pedals have the proper gussets, they are fine. The gussets were a very early mod, so most all aircraft should have them.
The hanging pedals are nicer, but not worth the trouble to me. Ann & I are both short. We've been flying ours for almost 20 years.
It is a pretty extensive mod requiring a lot of "under the panel" work.

I agree with Rosie, but there are benefits to the floor monted pedals also.

The pedals move as a parallelogram so the brake pedals stay at (somewhat) the same angle relative to the floor as they move.
This helps a lot with the problem many people have of inadvertently applying the brake when pushing on the pedal.

If the floor mounted pedals have the proper gussets, they are fine. The gussets were a very early mod, so most all aircraft should have them.
Note: The hanging pedals need the gussets too. Removing and re-installing the pedals is a pain in the buttocks, but reinforcing those welds is critical.

The pedals move as a parallelogram so the brake pedals stay at (somewhat) the same angle relative to the floor as they move.
This helps a lot with the problem many people have of inadvertently applying the brake when pushing on the pedal.

I have never been bothered with the floor mounted pedals on our -6 (Kit #4, and yes, they have the reinforcing gussets) - especially when I think of having to work underneath the panel to change them! But then again, I have flown so many differnt airplanes with so many diferent pedal configurations....I just adapt to them.

Floor mount

We have the floor mount and an unused set of overhead mount Type in the hangar.

Caution: As others have pointed out do the gusset mod if yours aren't. They CAN break. (Vans site has the AD)

We are completely happy with the floor pedals.

(if you decide to do the overhead let me know if you need the kit)

Floor Mod

I built my RV6 with the floor mounted pedals - did it right before the hanging version became available. Flew it a few years and decided to change.

I found the change to be relatively easy - inconvenient, but nothing really tough. (Naturally, I had put my NACA air vents a half inch or so too low so that was a problem, but it worked out.) I really like the change for the extra foot space in cruising and would do it again.

Scott is right about the braking. I'm tall (6'4") and have to watch that. But its fine - just something to be aware of.