mwagg737

I'm New Here
Hey guys,

I don't know if this is the place to post, but I am looking at my first airplane purchase. I found one in WA and went to look at it. I am ver close to putting money down on it. The paint leaves a little to be desired, but it seems to be mechanically sound.

I know only what Vans' website has in terms of SB's and I am very mechanically minded, but having no experience with RV's, I am looking for someone experienced to do a pre-buy in the Renton, WA area.

Also, what are to 'gotcha' items on a 6?

It was built by Dana Axelrod. Does anybody here know any history of this builder?

Thanks!

Matt

Welcome to VAF!

Matt,
welcome.gif
to the good ship VAF:D

Good to have you here, and good luck with the purchase.

go to the vans website and download all service bulletins. check them off as you inspect the aircraft. the nose gear is a big one, and will bring some debate from owners. if you have looked at enough construction in your search, you will be able to tell if it is well constructed. questions like: is this the original builder, does the builder have qualifications that make me feel more assured they were meticulous, did they stray from the plans, how long did they successfully fly it, why are they selling, how does the aircraft actually fly? are all the ones that went through my mind when I bought my RV6A recently.
in the end I inspected my own aircraft. I had previous aircraft ownership experience, bought an RV6A that was built by an A&P, IA, EAA technical counselor, retired Air Force pilot, who taught at a local technical college, and had built 4 aircraft. his wife asked for a final flight before they said good bye to their beloved bird.
that said a lot.
My 6A does not have the nose wheel service bulletin done, but had 480 successful hours on the airframe. I understand the fix, and deemed it unnecessary for the purchase. possible for the next annual.
good luck