MedFlightDoc

Hello to all,
I have a general question about pilot size in an RV-6, and whether a pilot 6' 3" and 240 lbs will fit comfortably?

We might be forming a group around one in the Madison, WI area at Morey (C29) and one of the guys had this question.

Thanks!
Ryan in Madison, WI

He should fit fine.. but not too fine if you throw another 6'3", 240lb'er in there with him. He will scrub shoulders a little with a passenger... but it's fine. The only challenge is getting your elbow up in a passenger's face when working the flap handle if the plane has manual flaps.

Seat cushions and torso length...

For headroom it is more about torso length rather than height and you can use up a lot of room with the cushions... might have to remove them in favor of some foam, or have two different sets if you are sharing the plane.

Legroom is pretty much set by the pedal location... it can be moved but not quickly. In flight you can lift the pedals up and stretch under them assuming the overhead pedals have been installed.

For sholder width... fly solo or with a smaller framed person if you want the most room. Two big guys will be okay but not the ideal. Just fine for shorter flights though.

I am 6'4"+ 195

I've had passengers bigger than that with no problems. Thankfully the seat back can be moved backwards (3 positions) both upper and lower. The seat pan has at least 2 added cushions for most that can be removed.