Hi:

I am new to this forum. I am currently flying a Citabria 7GCBC and am seriously thinking about buying a completed RV. I have settled on the side by side seating, but I am having a hard time distinguishing between the pros and cons of the RV6 design versus the RV7 or the RV9 designs. Can someone here help enlighten me or point me to some reading material regarding the benefits of one design versus the others? Thanks for any help.

Joe.

If you are not interested in acro, then the -9 is probably best. Speeds are very close and the -9 has slightly better low end characteristics.
If you want acro, either the -6 or the -7. The -7 has slightly more range and a lower seat pan for taller pilots. The -6 looks better (MHO).
If you find a good deal on a particular airplane, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Because you wont be building, the differences between a 6 and 7 are much smaller (biggest benefit to the 7 is much easier construction). So if you decided on a 7 a 6 would be very similar but at a lower purchase price.

As for the difference between a 7 and a 9...click on search at teh top of eth page...type RV-7 vs RV-9...sit back and spend the evening reading all of mixture of facts and opinions.

Hi:

I am new to this forum. I am currently flying a Citabria 7GCBC and am seriously thinking about buying a completed RV. I have settled on the side by side seating, but I am having a hard time distinguishing between the pros and cons of the RV6 design versus the RV7 or the RV9 designs. Can someone here help enlighten me or point me to some reading material regarding the benefits of one design versus the others? Thanks for any help.

Joe.

The big difference is the 9 wing. It is designed by John Ronz. The 6 and 7 have a Van's designed wing and are the same except for span. The 9 and 7 fuselage are the same as are the HS and rudders. The elevators and trim tabs are slightly different. The 9 has a much larger trim tab.

You won't be disappointed, no matter what you chose. They are great flying airplanes. But no upside down with the 9. It is a gentleman's cross country airplane.

The 9 and 7 fuselage are the same as are the HS and rudders.

You'll find that the HS on the -7 and -9 are very different. The -9 has a hershey shaped HS while the -7 is tapered like the -8 and the -9 is also quite a bit thicker. The -7 may have the same rudder as the newer rudder was either shipped with the kit (after the first hundred or so kits) or retro-fitted.

Hey everyone,

Thank you very much for all the prompt replies. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful the pilot community is.

Joe.

Speed

With the same engine I believe the RV-6 is a tad faster but the RV-7 is designed to accommodate the 200 hp Lycoming where the RV-6 is limited to the 180 O-360. The RV-9 is the slowest of the group but if you are not racing the difference probably will not matter to you. All are good cross country machines.

Bob Axsom

For independent analysis of these planes and their performance, see the CAFE Foundation reports at
http://cafefoundation.org/v2/research_aprs.php
Though the RV-7 is not tested, the -6 and -8 are (and the -7 would be very close to these). The -9 is also tested.
If you look closely, there are some pretty significant differences (that, in my case, helped me decide).
Still, in my mind, the biggest factor is whether or not you want to do aerobatics.
Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
You'll find that the HS on the -7 and -9 are very different. The -9 has a hershey shaped HS while the -7 is tapered like the -8 and the -9 is also quite a bit thicker. The -7 may have the same rudder as the newer rudder was either shipped with the kit (after the first hundred or so kits) or retro-fitted.

You are absolutely correct. I've built both and should have read what I wrote....I do believe the VS is the same or very similar, not the HS. A friend bought the 9 empennage I built when I switched to the 7 and it is still hanging on the wall of his hangar since 2002.

6 vs 7

Money, A lot more used 6's out there and about 20-25% less than a 7. Thats what I did 3 years ago and have never looked back. 2cents= A 6 looks better.

Choice

Hi:

Joe.

I see that you are currently flying a citabria. If you plan on doing any aerobatics---chose the -6 or the -7. The -9 wasn't designed for aerobatics thus it has lower load margins. Don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think it is in the Utility Catagory, rather the Aerobatic Catagory. Hopefully someone will correct me.

I see that you are currently flying a citabria. If you plan on doing any aerobatics---chose the -6 or the -7. The -9 wasn't designed for aerobatics thus it has lower load margins. Don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think it is in the Utility Catagory, rather the Aerobatic Catagory. Hopefully someone will correct me.
This is correct but if you like to do acro, go with the -7 as it has a higher acro GW than the -6, 1600 lbs for the -7 vs 1375 for the -6 and they both tend to have close the same empty weight.

In terms of acro capability, my -9 rolls quicker than a Decathlon I used to fly and the -6 & -7's are faster yet. I haven't tried to loop it and probably never will.

As mentioned, the -9 is not designed for acro. Do not perform unapproved maneuvers in a -9, maneuvers you are unfamiliar with, bla, bla, bla.

Other than the acro ability of the -7, it is basically the same as the -9 and the speeds are so close that really doesn't matter. Unless you are into racing.

Just went through this with same objective. Looked for best value in the 3 aircraft. Bought a 6A last month. Might have bought a 9 or 7 based on equip and price. 6s seem to be the best bang for the buck.