buz

Well Known Member
I have recently got my rv-6 flying again and when flying heated air is coming through the left side fresh air vent. The right side is cool but the left is warm/hot. I tried to slip left/right but no change.

Anyone have this problem?

Switch the scat tube from the right side of the aircraft to the vent outlet on your side. :rolleyes:

Jamie,

The first thing that comes to mind is that some air is leaking out at the cowling seams. You could duct tape these seams up for a flight to test.

I've read where sometimes air goes into the cowling inlet, swirls around and comes back out the same inlet! I suppose this could also be a possibility.

Mark

I could try to tape the seam and see if that helps.

Also I guess it could be possible for air to be spilling out of the cowl inlet and into the naca??

OAT and vent not the same

From folks over the years trying to put OAT's in the side of body air vent NACA scoops has shown temps are almost always significantly many degrees higher than ambient (3-7 F). Also prop slip stream does play a part in flow and temp through the vents.

HOT? Not sure about hot, but what else could it be, engine heat. Seeing you are in Florida, it is summer. The only thing you can do is climb to cooler air. :eek: The suggestion to reduce cowling seem leak sounds excellent.

Related to staying cool, consider some kind of sun shade / screen to suction cup on the canopy. If you want more air consider a third/forth vent, like those round or square pop out deals Van sells. It's still going to be hot, but you will have more circulation which may make you FEEL more comfortable. Back in school in HVAC class, the formula for comfort is Temp, Humidity and Circulation. You need all three, but with out A/C you can only increase circulation. More wind on the face will make you feel cooler.

Last edited: