Dakbuster

I have an IO 360 but no prop.
My intention is to bolt this onto my nearly completed RV6. But I don?t have a prop.

I have lots of questions on this installation but I can?t find anything in the archives(can?t believe this has not come up in the past maybe I am not using the correct search words !!)

If anyone can help steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it

Thanks

What was the question you were asking? Which propeller you should get or?

Have you already decided between constant speed (CS) or fixed pitch (FP)? Or another approach to propeller issue: what kind your flight profile is and what characteristics to look for like?

- Cruise speed
- Climb
- Take offs at high altitude airfields
- Suitability for rain
- Vibrations
- Restrictions for certain RPMs
- Small rocks on the apron, taxiways or runway
- Ground clearance

... to name few.

For the advanced search, note that change Find posts from "yesterday" to "any date" to increase number of changes to find answers...

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply

I am thinking a fixed pitch metal prop
But there were quite a few other questions

What Cowl mods are needed to fit the engine?
What performance can I expect?
Are there any other problems I will need to overcome with this installation?

Thanks

Bruce

Hi Bruce....

...You didn't mention which lower cowl you have. We're building a -7 with a forward facing induction system and its intake is mounted in the left front lower baffle with a fiberglass tube that Van sells down to the intake. If your cowl has the intake on the bottom, then you can fab an intake box system of your design or cut it off and buy Van's intake.....it's really well done.

As far as props are concerned, I'd go for the blended airfoil Sensenich for dirt abrasion and rain resistance even tho' I have a Catto on now. Expect around 200 MPH cruise at 75% or an easy 180-190 at lower power settings:)

Regards,

You need to provide some details on the IO-360. As Pierre mentioned, the induction can make a difference. Also, some injection systems need a fuel return plumbed to the tank, others don't. As for performance, it depends on a lot of stuff: what compression ratio/base hp, what ignition, has the injection been tuned, how about the airframe, and so on. You can get a lot of ballpark guesses but the only sure way is to get it in the air and find out.

Thanks for your replies

It has helped pave the way for me

I did not intentionally go out and purchase an IO360 it was just that this one became available from a helicopter accident the hours run, condition and most importantly the price that did the deal for me.
Now I have to get around the differences of going slightly non conformed. Initially I contacted Vans. They have been extremely helpful in all other areas but when I mentioned the engine their response was?We don?t know that engine? So the next best place is this forum.
I have used the archives many times and nearly always found what I was looking for and many other things that I was not looking for that helped me get to the stage I am now.
I have had a brief note from another RV6 IO360 owner and he has confirmed an oil temp control issue,
My engine model No is HIO-360-C1A.

According to the book this engine develops 205HP at 2900RPM as I will operate this at 2700RPM max, I think I will be developing around 180HP (Any thoughts on this welcome)
Compression ratio 8.7-1
My first problem is to change from rear fuel control mount to front. ( I don?t think this is too big a problem I plan to have the front face machined helicoil four stud in and bolt a blanking plate on the rear)
The crankshaft is solid which helped decide on a fixed pitch prop. The induction tubes are standard a couple are slightly dented so will have to be replaced
Ignition ? Not there yet but was thinking P mags???

Pierre
My lower cowl does not have any intake mounted on it I was planning to set the intake as you are. The Vans option looks real good, However The top cowl comes very close to the top of the Cylinder head it looks like about 1 to 1.5 inches. Will this be enough clearance? No baffles fitted as yet.

With regards to the propeller, what designation or model number, I am not too worried about take off distance more the fastest cruise on the lowest power

So now you have it all any further suggestions or warnings are gratefully accepted

Thanks

Bruce

Don't worry....

.......about dented intake tubes.....heck they may even stir the mixture better!:D I'd be careful to check for any leaks where they enter the oil pan to avoid a lean running cylinder.

The Van's intake system uses a rectangular air filter in the front left baffle and it's nicely contoured to go around a Skytek starter...which is substantially smaller than the Lyc starter, so you may have to sell yours and go with the smaller Skytek.

Whoever you deal with on a prop, just tell them you want to be able to turn 2700 revs and to pitch it for max speed. Catto knows his stuff as do the other suppliers.

Regards,