RijkersJ

Having been a builder for many years and now virtually ready to go, I got my first flight at the controls of a 6 - definitely a necessity considering the fact that in spite of all I have read from others the experience differs from the expectations:

My first impressions (probably the most relevant as you get used to any peculiarities quickly):

Elevator control is rather sensitive (under power) - ailerons/roll response nothing exceptional - rudder is relatively heavy and considerable input is required under power to compensate for P-factor. No adverse yaw of significance. Stall is, contrary to expectations, benign and a non-event.

I am curious about the tail wagging/ fishtailing (or whatever you want to call it) due to control inputs or turbulence. Is this characterictic only present in the 6? or do other models have the same. Appears to me as a low frequency convergent (dampened) flutter of the vertical stab - e.g. a function of the rigidity and taper of the rear fuselage.

Comments appreciated

All of the two-seaters are a bit tail-waggy in turbulence...the -10 not much.

Glad that you enjoyed the flight.

Best,

The -6, -7, and -9 are all prone to a little bit of tail-wagging in cruise. The -6 moreso than the -7, and the -7 moreso than the -9. At least, that was my observation based on a sample size of three -6's, one -7, and one -9.

Your other observations seem to match with mine as well, although I don't notice the P-factor correction as much... Maybe i'm just programmed now to feed in the rudder when needed.

Firstly, after a few hours you'll not notice the waggle, and second it really depends a lot on whether you have a short tailed RV6 or a tall tail! Same with P-factor. With a big engine, light plane and small rudder...if you mash the throttle in suddenly you just get used to doing the same thing with the rudder at the same time. I have many hours in -6's and quite like the.! It won't take you long at all to master it! Regarding the ailerons, if you were flying with cut sticks then they can be heavier than long sticks. You should be able to toss a well rigged -6 around the sky with 2 fingers.

Cheers,
Stein

Flutter would be at a much higher frequency than you experienced. It would have other characteristics as well, which would be identifiable, such as noise and damage to the airframe.

Dave

Appears to me as a low frequency convergent (dampened) flutter of the vertical stab - e.g. a function of the rigidity and taper of the rear fuselage.

Comments appreciated

All sorts of reasons, but almost certainly not flutter! Flutter in primary structure is almost always not damped (there is nothing to damp it), and usually catastrophic ... Rear fuselage is probably too stiff (fat) to flutter.

Possibly induced by inadvertent rudder inputs, or by friction in the rudder circuit, or possibly by friction or poor centring of the ailerons? Not something I've experienced in 600+ hours of RV-6 flying.

Why were you expecting the stall to be anything other than benign? Elevator sensitivity depends against what it is compared (and the cg position). I don't find the anti P-factor rudder forces at all heavy (160hp fixed pitch) - what engine prop configuration were you flying?

Pete