One more example that if you do NOT stall the aircraft, you have a really good chance of survival. He obviously flew it to the ground (without power) with a happy ending. Well, not happy, but certainly better than it could have been.

NTSB has posted its findings at:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20050415X00465&key=1

It states:
------------------
Upon removing the fuel filters from both wings, he (the inspector) noted that debris was lining both filters. He added that the right filter was particularly covered with a thick debris layer. He further noted that an examination of the filters revealed that they were automobile specific.
------------------

Is the fuel filtration system in Van's finish kit "automobile specific"? What does come with the finish kit?

Jim Smith RV-7A
http://WhiskeyBravo.com

filters

the only filters in the Vans kit are the pick-up tubes. I think they are designed to just pull fuel and sit right above the fuel sump where most foreign material would collect. they are either fabricated by the builder or purchased from Vans. There are no fuel filters in the kits that I know of other than the gascolator which has a filter screen. Some builders, depending on their engine and fuel system have in line filter(s). Obviously there are lots of builder options in the engine, fuel system set up. From the sound of the accident report, it wasn't necessarily the filter causing the problem, but foreign material blocking it. My guess is that it probably would have fouled an aircraft fuel filter also. Jack

The Fuel System Choices are yours

Things may have changed as far as fuel system design is concerned since I built my RV-6A but I doubt that they are vastly different. You are left to configure your fuel system from some basic sketches. Some time ago this website and the RVator had considerable discussion about gascolators and in-line fuel filters. Specific model numbers of auto fuel filters used were identified by builders. Laws making it illegal to dump fuel from preflight tests and the independence of filters for each tank are a couple of things that favor filters. I have a separate filter for each of my four individually selectable tanks and I do not reach a single point failure candidate until the main fuel valve is reached. There is no gascolator in my RV's fuel system. The detailed design and all of the component procurements for your RV fuel system are up to you. This is probably one of the areas of greatest variation between RVs and it is one of the most important. You probably noticed the hot thread about resistive and capacitive fuel quantity sensors. Auxilary fuel pump selection and mounting location, priming system, venting, tube routing, hose and tube options, hose and end fitting choices are part of the variables in anyone's "RV" fuel system. Contamination can be introduced at any time of course and you have to decide how to minimize the risk to a level you can live with.

Last edited: