Forgive me...just need advice. Is anyone familiar with the early alternators and charging systems for RV-6's? Mine has a small 35amp alternator and the panel lighting fluctuates when the engine is running. The VM system also shows charging in the yellow, red (high 15+v). Is the voltage regulated within the alternator, or does that small silver box on the battery box do something regarding voltage? Would it be recommended to upgrade alternators to today's offering, and does it require a new harness? Thanks for any advice.

Mike Stimac
N789U

Welcome to VAF!

Mike, first post so welcome to you:D Good to have you on VAF.

This has been discussed a lot in the past, have you tried searching for prior threads ???

Hint, when searching, be sure to reset the time parameter to "any date", as it is default set to only look at the prior year.

From my notes gathered on this site:
Old alternators are from a 1976-1979 Honda Civic CVCC without air conditioning. Part # is 14184. You can pick these up at Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts.. a 1975 Ford voltage regulator works with this unit.
I can vouch for the alternator.. I have one on my RV from Autozone. Haven't had any trouble with the voltage regulator so I haven't replaced it - just going by the notes I have saved from info on VAF.

Thanks, Mike. I will do just that. I purchased the -6 from a friend / builder who meticulously constructed the bird in a very minimalist fashion. Dave at 80, had not flown for a few years, and some 14 service bulletins were issued which I complied with while becoming quite familiar with the airframe. Including fuel pick-up tubes. Just don't know the electrical yet. Again,
Mike

Brian,
Thanks for digging up the history and for the recommendations. I am going to learn to search right now, just for the practice, and I may learn something additional while doing so. The advice is invaluable.
Mike

My RV-6 was also built with the 35A Honda Civic alternator and originally had the little silver box external regulator (Mopar-style 2-wire regulator). The regulator was failed when I bought the plane, the charging voltage was only about 12 volts even. I pulled the alternator and had a local generator/alternator/starter shop bench test it and it was fine, would put out the full 35 amps. I bought a Ford voltage regulator from a local auto parts shop (BWD Select brand, part# R400, cost about $27) and installed it, and now run a solid 14.2 volts on the main bus with the engine running ;)

Mine is a Nippon brand in my 6. I took it to a local alt shop and the did a complete rebuild for 80 bucks. I think NAPA had them for around a hundred. That didn't seem too bad for 1400 hours of run time.

S

My RV-6 was also built with the 35A Honda Civic alternator and originally had the little silver box external regulator (Mopar-style 2-wire regulator). The regulator was failed when I bought the plane, the charging voltage was only about 12 volts even. I pulled the alternator and had a local generator/alternator/starter shop bench test it and it was fine, would put out the full 35 amps. I bought a Ford voltage regulator from a local auto parts shop (BWD Select brand, part# R400, cost about $27) and installed it, and now run a solid 14.2 volts on the main bus with the engine running ;)

Vans also sold this little silver one, a ES M5-150A in the catalog.

200812216126.jpg

But with the connectors cut off. This one is adjustable

Van also sold a VR-1751 non-adjustable one - may be like this -

thumbnail.asp

The 97 catalog page is here -

https://web.archive.org/web/19970628182036/http://www.vansaircraft.com/catalog/engine.htm

Last edited:
That's what my plane had on it. The guy at the alternator shop said it was a Mopar regulator, originally used on Chrysler Marine boat engines.

My typo, it should be VR-1751 as listed in the Vans catalog link.

Fat fingers strike again...:)

The symptoms you described are often caused by a poor electrical connection. Before replacing any parts, I would check every connection and switch in the alternator field circuit. It is extremely unlikely that a defective externally-regulated alternator would put out too high of a voltage. If all connections are good, then suspect the voltage regulator.
Joe Gores

Transpo

The little silver box can also be found as a Transpo m150a.

There is also an m150. The difference is the on the backside of the A model there is a pot to adjust the voltage. Google it there are a couple of sources.