Pat Hatch

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I had to pull a fuel tank off my flying RV-6 for the fuel pickup service bulletin and I have looked everywhere for the torque value for the 1/4" bolt that mates the fuel tank bracket with the fuselage bracket. I have the slot on the fuse bracket and a nutplate for the bolt. I think it's the same setup on the -7. Does anyone have this recommended torque value handy? Appreciate it.

Actually this bolt should not be torqued too tightly. The reason for the slot is for the two brackets to pull apart and avoid ripping the end out of the fuel tank in case of an accident. The bolt is in "shear" only. I use a drilled bolt and castle nut with cotter pin.

Actually this bolt should not be torqued too tightly. The reason for the slot is for the two brackets to pull apart and avoid ripping the end out of the fuel tank in case of an accident. The bolt is in "shear" only. I use a drilled bolt and castle nut with cotter pin.

You are correct, Mel, as usual! I think the idea was to just snug it up, I have a drilled head bolt and have it safety wired to the bracket. I think that is the way Van's called it out, but I seem to remember that Van had a recommended torque value when they made this change. Can't find it anywhere though.

Drawing 46...

...shows the details (RV-6A), and construction manual section 8, pages 22 and 23 gives the verb-age of what is desired. No specific torque is called out.

...shows the details (RV-6A), and construction manual section 8, pages 22 and 23 gives the verb-age of what is desired. No specific torque is called out.

Thanks, found it, and it says to "achieve a snug fit of the bolt." No torque value.