xavierm

Well Known Member
Friend
Here is a snip from the report at Crave
Full article: http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9758741-1.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Crave

A highly modified kit plane, a Vans RV-4, won $25,000 in the speed challenge and another $50,000 for emitting the least amount of noise on its flight. Finally, the team flying a Cessna 172, the most popular small plane in production since the 40s, won $25,000 for handling.

"The results make sense--the Cessna 172 is the most successful (and highest production volume small aircraft) precisely for the reason that the handling qualities are so good," said Mark Moore, an aerospace engineer at NASA who used to preside over the PAV group before it was closed two years ago.

"The RV-4 had a large number of modifications to achieve the lower noise, and they did an enormous amount to flight testing with noise meters to become masters of low noise flight," Moore added.

YES, BUT.......

After all of the race data was tallied Saturday, NASA named its winners in the evening. The grand prize of $100,000 went to the team flying a slightly modified short-wing Pipistrel Virus, a Slovenia-built sport aircraft that's only recently been approved by the Federal Aviation Administration and which sells for about $70,000. That plane, flown by an Australian pilot who works for Pipistrel, also won $25,000 for the best short-take off, and another $25,000 for the efficiency challenge. The Australian pilot Michael Coates called the plane the "Prius of airplanes" not because it's a hybrid but because it can go as fast as 170 mph and get 50 miles to the gallon.

The 4 was a given to win the speed. So then what was needed was a good muffler.

So then the question is..... Who had the best A/C for the challange?

172 won for "handling"???? What does that mean? The 172 is the worst handing aircraft I have ever flown. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Coinneach said:
I think they confused "handling" with "stability."

I think you are correct but this is CAFE/ NASA, the lads who are sticklers for precise, scientific reports.

I don't think stability really describes a 172 either.... whale like? thats more like it. Stable = 182, handling = RV, whale like = 172.

I was entered in that competition but didn't get my plane done in time. I think I would have beating everybody!

NASA paid how much to find out what about a 172!!!!!

Sounds like it was CHRISTMAS at the CAFE hangar!!!!

Oh, and also that a RV4 is fast!

Did NASA get what they (we) paid for?

Probably not. I know they were looking for planes with different types of power plants. I would imagine next year will really be a great year for the competition. The biggest problem for my plane besides not finishing it was the stall speed. Once I get my engine running correctly and the plane flying I will start working on bringing the stall speed down through various wing modifications. With the stall speed down I believe a -10 with an auto engine can smoke the competition. Hopefully I can help pay for some of the RV that way. It might a possibility for you Ross!

If they let me get up to 18,000 I'm sure I can get 200 KTAS and with lots of MAP 4000 fpm at light weight. Stall vs. top speed not so good with low Vne. Not willing to push Van's limiting speeds.

You really want something like a beefed up Rocket with turbocharged LS2 to win this contest. :cool:

Before starting the -10 I was seriously contemplating a 2 stage turbo system and trying to set some altitude records. I even contacted the Russians to see what a Zvezda pressure suit would cost- lease for 6 months with training in Russia- $100,000US. Gulp. That ended that.

Last edited:
More....
PIPISTREL VIRUS THE BIG WINNER AT PAV CHALLENGE
A modified version of the Pipistrel Virus owned by Vance Turner of Rescue, California, emerged as the big winner in the first Personal Air Vehicle (PAV) Challenge competition held last week (August 4-12) at Charles Schultz-Sonoma County Airport (STS) near Santa Rosa, California. NASA put up $250,000 in prize money for the inaugural event, which was hosted by the Comparative Aircraft Flight Efficiency (CAFE) Foundation, and the Pipistrel took home $160,000 of it. Read more