chris mitchell

Well Known Member
Patron
I have seen a number of -4s where the builder has ditched the glass-fibre and bent up metal fairing, as indicated on the plans, to an all metal strip with rubber seal as used on the RV-6, 7, 8. It looks a lot neater than the plans version.! Unfortunately, none of the -4s I have seen have been accompanied by the builder, so I have not been able to track down details.

So - anyone who has made this modification - did you use the parts from one of the other series and modify as needed, or did you start from scratch? If the latter, I assume that you used card to make a template or careful measurements to get the correct shape?
]
]Any details, hints or tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris MItchell
RV-8 - built, flown, sold
RV-4 (fast-back version) - nearly finished!

I have seen a number of -4s where the builder has ditched the glass-fibre and bent up metal fairing, as indicated on the plans, to an all metal strip with rubber seal as used on the RV-6, 7, 8. It looks a lot neater than the plans version.! Unfortunately, none of the -4s I have seen have been accompanied by the builder, so I have not been able to track down details.

So - anyone who has made this modification - did you use the parts from one of the other series and modify as needed, or did you start from scratch? If the latter, I assume that you used card to make a template or careful measurements to get the correct shape?
]
]Any details, hints or tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris MItchell
RV-8 - built, flown, sold
RV-4 (fast-back version) - nearly finished!
From the "wayback" machine - Don't know what's available now but, in the 1980's (and before) we made our own "closure strips" and used a rubber sealing strip that was a "channel" that overran the closure strip and then laid up against the fuselage - 3/16" uniform gap seemed to do the trick to hold everything in place.

Van's must still it (don't have P/N) because some came with my -3 wing kit ...

YMMV - but this worked back then.

HFS
RV-4 S/N 1136

Attachments

• Weatherstripping - Fuselage:Wing Interface .jpg
    Weatherstripping - Fuselage:Wing Interface .jpg
    952.3 KB · Views: 6