lufthans.nl

Hi guys,

I'm assembling an RV-4 that I have not built myself and where the builder took the wings off while I was dismantling the tail, cowling, etc etc.

I'm putting the wings back on again now, and I'm having this head scratching moment:

1: The big bolts all seem to need two washers. That's fine, because that's what Vans shipped me.

Question: no washer under the head and two under the nut, or one under each?

2: The small (outboard) lower bolts don't seem to go in with the passenger pedals in place. There are two washers that got stuck to the skin there too. Both suggest that these (lower, small) bolts go in backward? That is, sticking back to front????

I guess a Vans manual would have helped here. Or this forum...

Thanks guys!!!

Hans

When using 2 washers, it's you choice of where to put them. One of the washers needs to be on whichever is being turned to tighten the assembly.
Personally, when using 2 washers, I prefer one under the nut and one under the bolt head when possible.
As far as which way the bolts go in, it's whichever way is most practical. Preferred is with the head of the bolt forward, but sometimes that is not practical.

Bolts

Hi

Mel is right, but perhaps should have made one further point. If possible always turn the nut to tighten, avoid turning the bolt. Turning the bolt will result in removal of any corrosion protection plating on the bolt. It also happens on the nut of course but the application of some duralac or similar inhibitor.