WISC

Well Known Member
I realize this is a matter of preference but I don?t have any pilots around to bounce off my ideas but I know I can count on the pilots on this site.
I am trying to decide between purchasing a RV4 or RV6; I can?t afford a 7 or 8.
I have 3 children, 2 which enjoy flying. However, 3 children are expensive and cost is a factor for me.
Mission: Mostly local flights just for the joy of flying, occasional trip for a 100 dollar burger, and possibly a 500-600 mile trip once a year.
-Wife wants a side by side. I understand her desire for side/side seating. I am not convinced she will fly enough to justify spending a few thousand more on a RV6. She states she will not fly at all in the back but that could just be emotions speaking.
Question 1: Has your spouse flown as much as planned?
Question 2: Which airplane as a rule of thumb will hold its value for re-sale if that ever becomes an issue?
Question 3: What other factors should I consider?
Thanks in advance

Question one,,,, yes. Question two, the value has lots more to do with how it's maintained and it's build quality then what model you choose, that goes for how it holds it's value also, how it's equipped also play a large roll in value.

You already know witch one you need anyway, my wife and I are RV-4 people but it sounds like you need an RV-6.

Last edited:
Question one,,,, yes. Question two, the value has lots more to do with how it's maintained and it's build quality then what model you choose, that goes for how it holds it's value also.

You already know witch one you need anyway, my wife and I are RV-4 people but it sounds like you need an RV-6.

+1 on what Russ says. You already have been told which model to get. :D

And the answer to question 1 is ...... well, depends. My wife goes a lot but not as often as I chose to fly. For instance, 3 hrs is about her cross country endurance. I, however, never want to drive anywhere.

ps I wanted a -4 also. I have a -6 (and a wife) so I compromised.

To quote Pierre----------Happy wife, happy life:D

If mamma aint happy, aint nobody happy

You can carry more in a 6 than a 4 for your few long trips for whatever that's worth. My lady has ridden in the back of my -8 occasionally and likes the room but would much prefer being side by side so she can learn and participate more, as well as be next to me. I think that would help get her to go more. My next plane will likely be a side by side, though the centerline seat RVs are my favorite.

If your kids want to fly, there's no choice. You want the 6. Sitting next to them you can explain more and they can participate a lot more. And they can see more, too.

My dad faced the same choice when he was deciding what to build. He wanted a 4 (still does, really) but went with a 6 because he wanted Mom to be comfortable and I wanted to fly.

I, too, went side-by-side (wanted to build a 4, but am building a 7) because my wife told me flat-out that she wouldn't fly at all unless she could sit next to me.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Its strange but for some reason everybody seems to want to make you obey your wife, where normally people on this forum say build the aeroplane you want to build not what someone else wants you to build.

I wrestled with this decision for some time before going for the 4. It was the aeroplane I wanted, the best performer (2 seat), best looking. Then before the 4 was finished I built a 9.

Lots of the guys comments are valid, especially when it comes to "sharing" the flight with your children, sbs is far easier to teach in especially when you solo from the front. The question about your wife though should be considered from how mus she flies with you now, if its a lot then the pendulum swings towards the six, if its rarely the 4.

Now, with a 4 and a 9 to choose from you can guess which I would choose to fly most often. With a 6 and a 4, the comparison is much more difficult because they are both great, but the 4 would still be the one of choice.

I am quite lucky because my wife is happy to sit behind me on a bike, how she will react to the 4 time will tell because I am still test flying, but I love it!

Either way you will get a great aeroplane, and just to make your mouth water for one a bit more I will tell you about my last two flights in the 4.

I did my first grass take off in the 4 behind a friends Condor. He was at about 250 to 300 ft alt when I started to roll. I let him get a bit ahead because I knew it would not take long to catch him. 30 to 40 seconds later I was blasting past him accelerating and out climbing him...... not a fair competition really.

Today I took off behind a Technam, I gave him a bit more of a lead before I followed...... same result, you wont be disappointed whatever you buy!!

I love the comment about moma not being happy.... they do have a way of making life miserable!!! Mine was not happy I was going flying today despite the fact that she had been out nearly every day playing golf or tennis leaving me at home. So, I did the right thing.... I went flying and played beating up Technams!! Happy days!!! My punishment.... I had to cook our evening meal Fish chips garlic bread and veggies!!! More happy days!!

Last edited:
An RV-4 is a pilot's airplane, with a back seat available for giving short rides. Sitting in the back seat of a -4 for more than an hour is, IMHO, torture. The -6 is a much better cross country cruiser when you've got a passenger sitting next to you.

Both the six and the four are great flying planes.
The rear seat is a bit tight for passengers of any size or any leg length. The six is great for all and if by yourself a great office to work from. Your books and maps and food are right beside you and no trying to reach in the back for a snack of map.

Both the six and the four are great flying planes.
The rear seat is a bit tight for passengers of any size or any leg length. The six is great for all and if by yourself a great office to work from. Your books and maps and food are right beside you and no trying to reach in the back for a snack of map.

I hate trying to get my snack of map from the back.