Don't know if this helps...

I'm unaware of anyone doing transition training IN an RV4. I believe there are a number of the standard transition trainers out there who will put you in the right seat of an RV6 or RV7 (right stick / left throttle) to give you transition training for an RV4. I know when I trained with Mike Seagar he signed off in my logbook that I was checked out in tailwheel RV's (i.e. not model specific).

For insurance requirements, may want to run things through them first. I haven't flown an RV4, but have heard it is similar enough in nature that training in a side by side probably isn't an issue for most folks.

Maybe Bohanan?

If I wanted specific training for a -4, I would check with Bruce Bohanon (yep, THAT Bruce Bohanon of Flying Tiger fame). He makes much of his living now as a CFI and certainly knows the -4. I'll send you his email and phone number as a PM.

Data Point

Does anyone do RV-4 transition training?

When I bought my -4 I did the transition training with Mike Seager in his -7. My insurance compnay accepted the -7 training as "dual time in type".

I was worried about doing the training using my left hand for the stick when I would be flying right-handed in the -4. I was a bundle of nerves on my first take off in the -4. It was a piece o' cake, nuthin to worry about. I found it easier to land than the -7.

RV-4 transition

I can tell you from experience..just did an hour from the RIGHT seat of a friends 6, so stick in R/H and throttle in left. Made my first flight in my -4 a couple days later...the -4 is even easier, as there is no off-centerline feel. you will have no problem !

Bill E.
RV-4
76WE, phase 1
Advance NC, 8A7

It's not the hand, it's the tandem

From my perspective, it isn't the switching of hands that's the potential issue, it's learning to deal with the weight distribution and landing characteristics of the tandem RV. Switching hands, for me, has been a complete non-issue and I have been pretty comfortable doing T&L in the -8 (except the distressing pedal design situation). However, I'm still not comfortable landing with a passenger. Sure, any RV gets you ready to fly a tandem solo but that doesn't really prepared you for a passenger. I guess I need to find the time to load the back with some cases of oil.....

RV transition

From my perspective, it isn't the switching of hands that's the potential issue, it's learning to deal with the weight distribution and landing characteristics of the tandem RV. QUOTE]

That would be a shack Louise

Hack

Say Louise.....

...I borrowed a bag of sacrete from our local builders' supply and put it in a big plastic garbage bag and strapped it in tight, vertically, so the CG would be as far aft as possible. I believe it weighed around 80 lbs...a good start towards a 160 lb rear guy....worked really well.

They let me have the bag for a week and I gave it back, along with a $20 bill:)

Best,

Does anyone do RV-4 transition training?
Hack
Focusing on your original query....for the tailwheel endorsement and insurance purposes, I used John Musgrave. He and his RV-4 operate out of (CO9) Morris Municipal Airport, Il. Contact the FBO at 815-942-5438 for specific information.

30jjnty.jpg

Last edited: