rvator51

Well Known Member
Here is my first attempt at making a bracket to hold the throttle on the sidewall of the fuselage.

IMG_2733.jpg

After looking at it for a couple of days, I decided to redo it. Here is my second attempt.

IMG_2746.jpg

I figure in a couple more attempts, I should get it right.

This is great info since we need to move the throttle on the 4 as well...this give us an idea. However, is there a way tie your horizontal angle stock into the bulkhead ribs? I'd be a little concerned about vibration concentrating there causing a crack in the skin. -Jim

Throttle attach

.... However, is there a way tie your horizontal angle stock into the bulkhead ribs? I'd be a little concerned about vibration concentrating there causing a crack in the skin. -Jim

Jim, I did mine (finally) in a very similar way to rvator51's first attempt, but did tie it to the ribs. You can see it here and here. Double click the pictures to get a beter view.

After around 70 hours of use I think it is quite strong enough. The load by the way is nearly all taken by the top strip.

I think its worth making the direction of travel of the levers parallel with the centreline, NOT the wall of the fuselage. If you look closely at this picture you wil see the bracket that connects from the reinforcement of the skin to the quadrant allows for that. I think it is the natural direction of travel for your arm, and also reduces your tendanct to push outward against the skin. Its only a few degrees though, so perhaps its a very small issue. Hope it helps!

Tom, sorry for the delay. Havnt been around the materials for a while, so I had to go and measure.

The angle riveted to the skin at the top is .063 and also has little brackets attaching it to the frames, back and front.

At the bottom it is .032 but does not run full length. I think you can see that if you go back to the pictures in my previous posts.

The little brackets that connect the quadrant to the brackets mentioned above are .032.

Hope that helps.

I made it like this, 150 hours and no trouble:
Back view:
dscc06203.jpg

Front view:
dscc06214.jpg

It's a fixed pitch prop, so here you see throttle, mixture and carb heat. The mixture lever works vice versa, so I was able to get the three levers together as close as possible to get maximum legroom. Basicly it's a standard Vans quadrant, just ommitted half of the brown "plastic" parts, because I let the middle actuator run all through the quadrant, so if you push, it pulls. Works just fine with my Ellison TBI. Totally satisfied with this so far, because the place it sits now is ergonomically perfect for me. So, take a seat and try to figure out where the throttle should be and nail it right there.
Cheers, Dirk

Last edited: