Hey guys! Havent been on here much since i bought my 1988 rv4 over a year ago, but i am almost done " restoring" her. I have a problem with it making a pretty hard left turn when taxing. It never trys to go right just left. If you were taxing straight ahead and let go of the pedals it will make the next taxi way with out help. Some guys on here said to check the tail wheel chains and alignment of the tail wheel. So i did, the chains are really loose and the bottom of the tail wheel is bent?? to the left. I am thinking about replacing the whole asy. But mine dosent have a full caster tail wheel. I would say that my tail wheel spring is bent. There is one bolt that holds the tail wheel spring in from what i can see. Would changing the tail wheel and tail wheel spring be a good idea? I did get to fly it back from the paint shop, with some help of a good friend that has a harmon rocket. I love this air plane!!!!

Thanks again for all the help.
V. Hill

As a Pilot with over 10000hrs. in tailwheel ac, my suggestion would be you have a mechanical problem. If your problem is apparent regardless of the wind direction, something is wrong.
I once flew my 4 to a shop to check on my ag plane, did a nice fly by, then pulled up to hangar and spun her around, only to have the tail wheel collapse. The bolt holding the wheel asy. to the gear sheared. Go figure.
You need too get this checked out before you have serious trouble

Thanks for the help. The tail wheel spring is def bent, I ordered a complete set up from Vince at fly boys. Super nice people to deal with.

Dragging brake

If the tailwheel doesn't do it, try this.

Many folks add return springs on their brake cylinders to ensure that there is not a small amount of brake drag.(Springs about 3/8" x 3 with collets) Also, depending on how far forward your rudders are mounted, you can get a tad of brake drag at extreme rudder movement positions. You have to slink low in the pilot seat with a flashlight while moving the rudder pedals in order to determine if this is your issue.

If changing the tailwheel assembly doesn't solve the problem, recommend that you consider taking the wheel assemblies apart, if you haven't already done that as part of the restoration. What you're describing sounds like a dragging brake. It's possible with an RV gear fairing to have interference with the caliper and the piano hinge pin that holds the gear fairing in place, depending on how it's installed. A brake dragging over time will likely also show wear on the rotor. With the wheel off, it's possible to check the condition of the wheel bearings as well. If they are older, it's possible to have a bearing fail either due to corrosion or mis-installed wheel nut (usually a bit too loose). If you haven't had the calipers apart, it's a good time to clean things up and replace the brake O-rings as well. Regular wheel/brake maintenance is something that is easy to overlook in an RV due to the simple, robust basic design and the tight fitting wheel pants, so it's something to pay attention to as the airframes age.

Cheers,

Vac

Thanks guys, I did install new master cylinder with springs for brake return, braided steel brake lines new caliper seals. I did repack the bearings. Ive been pulling my hair out with this thing. I sure hope the new tail wheel asy fixes the problem. I just want to go learn to fly her! Ill keep ya posted when i get it done. Again thanks for all the help!

If your tail spring is bent it may not be an easy repair. I bent the spring on my 1989 -4 and had to remove the skin under the tail spring to remove it from the steel receptacle. The spring had fused itself to the receptacle. It required lots of heat and brute force to dislodge it. I replaced the spring and installed the Aviation products full swivel tail wheel. Big job...Good luck.....

Bill Steele
RV4, RV8A

Most springs are not so obstinate. Penetrating oil, twisting, and pulling usually get them out in short order. Some pop right out easily.

We carry replacement springs, tailwheels, steering links, retrofit Screaming Eagle forks, tires, just about anything you could possibly need for the tailwheel area.

Vince

Double check your aft bulkheads. If your spring is bent there is a chance of some bulkhead damage. It should show in the side skin as wrinkles, but may not depending on how severe the damage.
Incidents that can lead to tail spring damage; sideloads from going off the runway into soft grass or mud, ground loops, obstruction hitting the tailwheel yoke (Van's standard yoke has very little clearance for the tailwheel to clear a sharp edge like a runway edge, tie down hole, etc...)

allignment

Place some wax paper on the ground on a smooth hanger floor and roll the aircraft over the wax paper, watch and see what way the wax paper turns, that will tell you if you have toe in or toe out problems, then we can go from there.
Best
Brian

fixed!!

Installed the new tail wheel from Vince at flyboys. Did a short taxi text seems like shes fixed. If i get some good weather then Ill get it out and do some flying. Thanks again for the help!