Hey guys! Got the 4 in the air for the first time since the revamp, but i need some advice. She wont taxi straight, keeps pulling to the left. Pretty hard at that. Not the builder, so any help would be great!! It is a older on 1988 if that helps.

Tailwheel

This is probably too simple, but check the length of tailwheel springs. If they are different lengths the plane will favor the short side. The plane will swerve back when the tail comes up because the rudder and tailwheel are not aligned.

Just a thought.

Keith

If the tailwheel is not straight up and down and the tire has worn on one side, it will do this as well. It will try to follow the caster of the worn tire.
May not apply in your case but have seen this happen a couple of times.
Larry

I would agree with LARCO, check the wear pattern on your T/W. Mine is currently sitting about 3-5 degrees to the right and with the castor angle it causes the plane to want to go right when it contacts the ground on rollout.

rv4

Thanks for the ideas, Shes at the paint shop in mena right now. When i get it home ill see what i can figure out. Thanks!!!

track

Romeo,

Lift the airplane off its main gear; spin the tires with your hands and make sure they roll freely. If so, no bearing trouble or dragging brakes.

Look at the tailwheel and verify it is standing perpendicular to the ground; it should be.

Count the chain links between the rudder horn and the tailwheel bracket to make sure they are equal; they should be.

With the airplane back on the ground with the gear in its normal taxi position (you may have to push it a foot or two so the gear will spread back to this position if it has been lifted off the ground), verify that the tire alignment is correct by using conventional alignment methods. This check needs to be done with all three tires on the ground.

If everything checks out.........well........... punt.

When I bought my -4, I had this exact problem. It took me about a week to fix it, but I'm not sure I ever figured it out!

I took the tailwheel assembly apart and discovered that the nylon centering tab was notched by wear. I took a small file and smoothed it out, cleaned and lubed it. When I got it all back together, the plane taxied straight.

Not sure if the cleaning, lubing, or filing was responsible.