n38139

Well Known Member
Has anybody ever installed a slider canopy on a 4? Just curious, not looking for "Impossible, Don't Do It." Photos?

thanks,

Steve ;)

Get me a slider...

I have seen several over the years. The difficulty is the rudder is so close that it can't slide aft far enough for the backseater to get in. Here is one with a slider and retracts...

Rob Ray

pics of RV 4 sliders

I have pictures of red ones, blue ones, yellow ones and the one that RR posted. I will be glad to send them to your email if you like.

:)

just did a quick search of my RV4 pics and I have 28 pics of -4 sliders. At least 8-10 different planes.

Last edited:
photos sent

Steve,

I have sent the photos in 5 emails to you. Should total 28 pics of 10 planes.
:eek:

RV-4 slider

n38139 said:
Has anybody ever installed a slider canopy on a 4? Just curious, not looking for "Impossible, Don't Do It." Photos?

thanks,

Steve ;)

Steve,
I have a RV-4 slider that was built by John Palmaire from Bradenton, FL, and of course I love it, with the P-51 look. However, there are some trade-offs. 1. Getting in and out in the front seat is more difficult (old man). 2. The fold over canopy design allows you to get behind the instrument panel very easily. I have a 4" by 4" panel to the back of the instruments, that I wish were larger. 3. The roll bar was modified and lower to clear the canopy, so less protection if you flip on your back. 4. The canopy latch mechanism is only operable from the front seat, so I have a punch tool between the seats just in case the back seat person needs to get out and I can't do it. These are probably the same trade-offs for the RV-8s.
Bill McLean, N96JP
Enterprise, AL (EDN)
[email protected]

RV4 Sliders

Bill

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would love to see some photo's of the 4 slider installation. I've always been interested in doing this as well, and have never see one. Thanks

Joe Hine
C-FYTQ
[email protected]

Art and Joe,

I have sent the pics to you as well.

:)

Joe, yours just came back to me as undeliverable. :eek:

Last edited:
Joe,

I am in DC on my way to Cape Cod for an overnight. My EMAIL won't go out from here, but everything else is working. IF it will go out tonight from the hotel I will do that, otherwise I should be back in Thurs. night or Friday AM and will send them then.

:D

Sholder room

I knew a guy with a -4 slider. The RV-4 is narrower than a RV-8 and the canopy rail in a slider design cuts into your shoulder room. It was a complaint from the guy I met, who bought the plane 2nd hand. Look cool and if you are narrow shouldered and nimble its neat.

Joe,

Outgoing mail didn't work from Cape Cod either. Sorry. I did just send the pics to you. Back in HOT SC.

:eek: