chris mitchell

Well Known Member
Patron
Here are a couple of photos showing how a previous builder has "amended" the structure at rear of the aircraft :eek:. The rear deck was not riveted in place along the longerons but held in place with 4x3/16bolts on each side, which in turn held a big chunk of angle which was bolted to the "ears" via the rear spar on the empennage.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee72/chrism741/SDC10365.jpg

Part of the rear top skin was cut away - presumably to give access for the bolts that hold the front of the empennage - and and additional former was riveted to the top skin just in front of the aperture. The bottom edge of the former was riveted to some angle which was again bolted to the longerons.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee72/chrism741/SDC10363.jpg

I am planning to remove the extra former and replace the top skin, and will fill the holes with a 6-32 rivet. The rear deck I will rivet in place as per plans but substitute some 6-32 rivets on each side again to fill the holes in the longerons. I'm just wondering if I should a strip of aluminum thing to the underside of the longerons or not? Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Chris

I can't comment on a viable repair,,,
But I have to ask (to the former builder):

Why,,?
Why mess with a proven design & structure,,?

Sure, there are places on the 4 that made me utter some unmentionables during construction, but I deferred to Van and his design/engineering,, but that area of the rear deck wasn't one of them.

What was the purpose, of this modification?

Inquiring minds,,,,

You've got me...!

I can't imagine why. :confused::confused::confused:I didn't think the tail was something that regularly fell off.

The only advantage that I can see in cutting a hole in the top rear skin is access for bolting the front of the empennage.... However, cunning tricks with tape or superglue make even that task feasible although tedious.

I have some more photos of a few other bits and pieces that need to be rescued. I'll post them in due course. In the meantime I'm just drilling out rivets, enjoying the English sunshine......

Chris

Was all this just to give better access to the nuts on the forward HS holddown? Yikes. I've got some nasty bruises from my last HS install (per design, but requires a 3rd wrist) but I'm not sure I'd make changes this drastic just for better access to something that shouldn't need frequent access.

It is likely due to the fact that the VS won't fit without the cutout. They come very close on most RV-4's. Personally I see nothing wrong with the mods. Not sure why there would be 4 bolts placed together to secure the aft deck. Once the turtle deck is riveted on the aft deck does not provide much in the way of strength.