olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
Anyone out there make a set of RV-4 recessed foot wells that they decided not to use? If not, does anyone have a set of plans or some info on dimensions. I suppose I could do it from scratch but it would be a lot easier to use all those great brains out there.

As someone once told me, "It sure is nice to have smart friends".

Oly

RV 4 footwells

there is plans and photo on page 95 of the RV aviator. 1980-2003 edition..if you need a copy email me a fax # and I will copy and fax to you...Tom

footwell

I am editing this post because the link to footwell drawings originally published in RVator did not fit in my RV4 and
I don't want anyone else to waste time and effort building them only to find that they are disappointed.
Keep reading this thread to find out what dimensions work better. The footwell mod is a good one.

Dave

Last edited:
Foot wells

Just wondering if my TruTrak servo will interfere with the installation of the footwells? I don't quite have the image in my mind if that will be an issue.

Completely depends on where the servo is mounted. I mounted mine outside of the center bay and behind the removable footwell floor so it's not in the way at all.

Just wondering if my TruTrak servo will interfere with the installation of the footwells? I don't quite have the image in my mind if that will be an issue.

A foot ahead...

Does anyone have a set of plans or some info on dimensions. Oly

Oly,
Single best mod I ever installed on my Four. Side benefit is when flown solo they become containers for water bottles, gloves, pistols/ammo...well you see what I mean...

I used the RV8R newsletter plans above and had them fabricated in an afternoon. As Sid mentioned, be conscious of aileron push-rod clearance as it's close tolerance but nothing a big hammer won't adjust...

Happy hunting...
V/R
Smokey
Dues gladly paid in Iraq...
Gladly paid to DR anyway...

PS: Steve, Autopilot in an RV4? YGBSM...:)

Last edited:
RV4 Passenger Footwells

Hi There!
I'm hoping to do the same mod on my 4 (which I bought used). I have a set of angled RV8 pieces of footwell sheetmetal, but they'll need some modification before they fit in place of the flat piece that is currently covering the silonoid and battery compartment (on the right side of the pilots seat).
Not having built the plane, this looks like to me an "overwhelming" task, but I think it would make a great improvement on passenger comfort and as a mini storage area when flying solo.
I'm looking for help and advise for the very same thing...

You have to buy the parts. Go here http://vansaircraft.com/public/parts.txt Do "Control-F". Type "829". You will need all the footwell parts. Someone with the RV-8 preview plans can help you out too.

You need one of each of the following

F-829DPP-R
F-829BPP-R
F-829CPP-R
F-829DPP-L
F-829CPP-L
F-829BPP-L

Dwg 29 from the RV8 plans will also help. Contact me via email and I'll email you that drawing. To find my email address, left click on my user name. Once you are signed in, you will find a link on the following page that will allow you to send me an email.

Charlie

Would it make any difference using 3003h14 aluminum sheet to make a set of footwells vs the 2024 t3 suggested in this thread? My metal shop doesn't have any of the 2024.

foot well drawings...

Be warned.... just finished a set of footwells based on the drawings posted above (sent to me and reposted by me!!!). I also read the note posted by Sid saying to check the aileron tube clearance which I did as best I could... the tube rises up at the far end of its travel.
Bottom line is that I wasted 2 days of work... :( they don't fit, on my airplane at least. When the ailerons are pushed toward full deflection, the torque tube touches the front side of the footwell.
Anyway what I would recommend is make the footwell smaller, with the front edge about and inch further back than the drawing shows and perhaps make the well about a half an inch shallower. That should allow for enough clearance.
Back to the shop for me....

I'm sorry to hear about the wasted 2 days.

We changed the design of the footwells as shown in the RVator a little bit. The distance of the front side from F-404 is 0.5“ larger and it has different angles. We worked it out while seating in the backseat to get a good position of our feet (5ft 10inch tall).

8451320808_da8eaa8813.jpg

A sketch of our design with measurements in mm. The black line shows the position of the design as published in the RVator. I discussed the aileron pushrod clearance issue of our design with Ken Scott of Vans. It was ok for him. If I remember correctly, he said that you should have at least 5mm clearance (general rule).

8451320702_40e4bbf3aa.jpg

We thought about using the RV-8 parts. I don't know how they compare intereference wise. We finally went with our own design, because we liked to have a small flat part on the bottom.

Last edited:
footwells

Yep, that is precisely what I am thinking would work much better. Thanks for you very helpful pics and drawings, I'm sure it will help the next person.

yes

We reworked the footwells yesterday and reinstalled... new dimensions
allowed much more clearance on the aileron torque tubes and didn't really affect anything. Pax feet still fit just fine.

Cheers

Would it make any difference using 3003h14 aluminum sheet to make a set of footwells vs the 2024 t3 suggested in this thread? My metal shop doesn't have any of the 2024.

Jerry,
3003 aluminum is very soft and does not have the strength of 2024-T3. It's great for making residential air conditioning ducts, but not aircraft parts. Best to stick with the material called for. FYI, check to see if there is an aircraft metal supplier in your area. If there is not, you can buy sheet 2024-3 from vendors like Aircraft Spruce, Wicks Aircraft Supply and others. Online Metals is another source. See

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/alumsheet_2024t3.php

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircra...keycateg=100&keyprod=3134&SchType=2&keyType=P

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=239&step=2&top_cat=60

Charlie