celstar

Well Known Member
Who has covered the flap actuating holes in the rear seat passenger area of a RV-4 and what have you used to cover them?

What I did

I dont have a handy picture, but I made side panels from .020" aluminum that also double as arm rests. Some simple attach angles at the bottom for retainer screws, and I have angles riveted through the skin at the top, which could probably be eliminated if you were installing in a flying aircraft. I have gotten many compliments of the finished look, and no open flap mechanism, ect...send me a PM with E-mail, and I will snap some pics for you.

I don't seem to be able to find a picture. Think of a 90 degree stick boot made of leather. 4 points attach to the floor in a rectangular pattern with the open end pointed fwd and wrapping around the flap actuating arm. Makes for a very clean install without losing any sidewall room.
Ryan

Here is how I covered the flap pushrod holes, 10 years ago, to seal against drafts and dirt:

flap%20pushrod%20gap%20seal%202.jpg

flap%20pushrod%20gap%20seal%201.jpg

flap%20pushrod%20gap%20seal%203.jpg

Here is a nifty flap pushrod gap seal that is easily made from the foam of a foam paintbrush. It really does a nice job, is cheap, and durable. It still looks fine after 10 years of service!

The paintbrush foam is soft, yet tough, and conforms nicely around the flap pushrod. The U-shaped piece of aluminum on the bottom was intentionally left rough, not deburred, and drilled full of rough holes so it would grip the foam tightly. That foam is just the ticket.

In the lower right corner you can see a hole which I melted through the foam with a soldering iron. When you install the floorboard, a screw goes through that hole. The foam scrunches down nearly flat, as you can see, and does not cause any fitting problems even though it is between the floorboard and angle on the fuselage.