avengingangel

Well Known Member
Just lookin for some help. Have to replace my prop which is a sterba. The engine is the 160hp lycoming I think its the e2d model. I certainly will check but for now it will do. ( seems they dont like rain all that much,oops). Is there a metal prop available or do I even not consider that route? I'll check vans probably in the morning. Thanks.

Metal prop -- Here it is:

Sensenich 70CM7S16-0-79

This is the prop you want for the 160HP. I believe this prop was designed with the RV4 in mind. I think it's made for the experimental market (i.e. not standard airworthy). The guy I bought my airplane from included a receipt for which he paid $1,582 in 2005.

Call Sensenich direct at 717-560-3725
or contact ED Zercher: [email protected]

Good luck

Not so fast...

Sure, go with the Sensenich metal prop if you:
A) Don't do aerobatics
B) Don't mind a 2600 max RPM restriction
C) Don't mind harmonic airframe vibrations and flywheel effect when doing aerobatics.
D) Don't mind adding 35 lbs to the nose of your airplane.

I bought a Sensy metal prop to replace my Sterba in 2000' and flew it 5 hours and removed it and sold it. I now run an MT fixed pitch which is much lighter and fends off rain with a SS leading edge, has no rpm restrictions and is turbine smooth. I also liked My Craig Catto composite prop, very smooth and great for acro. Of course my RV4 flies level long enough to takeoff and land, your mileage may vary...

Rob Ray
1500 Hours RV4 (5 props tested)

www.mt-propellerusa.com
www.cattoprops.com

Last edited:
smokeyray I agree I do aerobatics and dont want anymore vibration than what I already have how about more info on your prop

Prop me up..

Angel,

I bought an MT after trying alot of other props. I personally like it as it provides good performance, smooth running and rain protection. The downside is cost and lag time for ordering. It took one month from the time I ordered it, but was dialed in exactly as I asked, performance wise. The cost however, is the same as a Sensenich metal prop, $2000. I have heard from other MT customers who have had problems with service. I personally have had great results with Doug Turner and Mt USA.
My RV4 "The Bandit" has a 170HP 0-320 and I get 2220 static, 2275 climb/1500 fpm and 2700 max at SL full throttle. Bandit indicates 205 mph at 2700RPM, GPS consistently shows 175 Knots GS at that indicated speed. I have one year and 221 hours on it with no worries so far.

Also, I really liked my Craig Catto prop I had on my original engine. Less $$$ than the MT, great performance and very smooth. Here are their sites:

www.mt-propellerusa.com
www.cattoprops.com

My 2 cents...

RR

Last edited:
Just wondering what type prop do you have now diam. pitch? I have a 160hp on my RV-4 and was considering the sterba prop.What climb rate and cruise for the prop you have now?
Thanks

Simply Sterba...

Brian,

I started out with a Sterba when my RV4 was new. It had a 150HP 0-320 then with no paint, minimal electrical system and weighed 925 lbs! (1997) The Sterba was a 69"D X 72 Pitch and produced 200 mph flat out at 2850 RPM, cruised 165 mph at 2450. It would turn 2900 if left alone at full throttle for several minutes. Climb was 1200 fpm at 2300. I paid $375 for it new in 95', alot of bang for the buck. Downside was rain, chewed it up if you didn't reduce below 2200 rpm immediately. Upside is cost, very cheap. Mine is still flying on an RV4 in CA...

If you are looking for low cost, you can't beat Ed's props.

RR

Last edited:
Good Wood

Smoky,

I have a wood prop (Props Inc.) on my 160 hp -4, and I really like it. Smooth as a jet. My concern, of course, is rain. Will a flight in rain damage the prop in all cases? Or, am I to understand that if I slow the RPM down it is possible to limp home and do no damage to the prop?

I'm considering the MT based on your review, plus I think it is the best looking prop out there. Do you have to slow the MT down in precip to avoid damage?

Thx

Steve

Smokey, just Curious.... you running 2 or 3 blade MT?

Have you ran both? what specific differences have you noticed in YOUR case. I am not looking to rekindle the 2 vs 3 blade debate... :)

Ya I think my sterba prop was pretty good although I cant compare it to anything else. (68 1/4) inch dia. But my ame says he can probably repair so I can always have it as a spare. For me I'd like something not so afraid of the rain. however its my fault I flew into some pretty heavy weather a couple of days back and not thinking about WOODPROP chewed it. I've only had the rv almost a couple years and had never tried to tackle anything such before.The mt sounds good will check their site next. Now the big question I have is what can I expect performance wise to I guess my sterba.160hp example accelaration, speed. Thanks again.

Rain, Rain, go away...

Guys,

Ed Sterba told me in 1995 that 2200 or less through light rain wouldn't hurt his prop. This holds true, but anything above peels the varnish right off and eats the wood. You can apply prop guard tape from Tennessee Propellers that works outstanding and protects wood props in rain. It is cheap and easy to apply. It does slightly reduce performance, very slightly. The Catto in rain chips paint but holds up well. The MT 2 Blade I fly is nearly impervious to rain at any RPM and has only a few paint chips here and there that might have even come from my rough sandy strip at my house.
Either way, wood or composite props are far superior to metal unless you like nothing other than straight and level cross country and no over the top acro. (RV 7A, 8A and 9A guys :) The nose is lighter, smoother running and lower cost than C/S. Having flown both props types, you see what I have on my RV4...

Smokey

Last edited:
Thanks Smokyray...

For the info on the MT prop. I just purchased my RV4 (serial #005) last year and the guy already had the Sensenich prop on it. Since I've only used it for x-country and some rolls here and there, the Sens. has been great for me. In fact, that 35 lbs. on the nose has really helped me carry more luggage in the rear. I do, however, have to throw 10 lbs. in the baggage compt. when flying alone. When I get more $ and time to fly aerobatics, I will definitely buy an MT.

Most of my flying has been in Alaska where 30% of your airtime is spent plowing through water or bugs, so I've always feared the high maintenance of a wood/composite prop. But it sounds like they've made some great strides in this area.