RV-Mate

I'm New Here
Hi all,

I'm new to this wonderful world of RV's. I got hook after a ride with a friend a couple of years ago and Oshkosh was a true turning point for me. So while I'm saving hard towards an RV-8 kit, I'm currently looking for an RV-4 to fly now. I was wondering what everybody thinks are the essential tell tail signs of a good and ugly machine? Where are the key points to look at for an idea of the quality of workmanship?

I've noted and read the great advice that is on the Van's website but I was more interested in your thoughts of what i can actively look for to know if I've got a winner or a lemon?

Any advice is appreciated.

Look for the any distortion around the lower engine mount/firewall/gussets. Van's redesigned them to be a bit beefier man years ago.

Look for cracking rudder and elevator skins. Most -4's with metal props seem to have cracks so don't worry much if you see small ones.

Fuel tank leaks. Common and most can be fixed fairly easily.

Clearance from the alternator pulley to cowl. Can be a pain to remove the prop and install a shorter belt but not a major issue.

Any smoking rivets on the wings would be a concern. You will probably see a few around the tailwheel mount and maybe some underneath the airplane.

There are a few others that I can't remember right now.

Call Smokey for a pre-purchase inspection.

Lachlan,
The best advice for anyone looking at any model RV, when they are not familiar with RV construction (and maybe aircraft in general if you are not an A&P) is to find someone with experience in the model of RV you are looking at.
Get them involved when you find one that you have a serious interest in.

The reality is...trying to give you tips on what to look for when inspecting an RV for purchase is not much different than asking a doctor for advice on how to do a self diagnosis without you telling him anything about what your illness is. Their are not many specific things that are considered common problems with RV-4's, but there are lots of things that can be problems.

I don't mean to sound overly negative and unhelpful. I have just seen far too many poorly built RV's that too many unsuspecting people paid too much money for. It will be worth what ever you have to pay to have experienced eyes look over any prospective purchase very carefully.

Thank you Sid and Scott,

Great advice. Hope I can find a -4 before too long.

Thanks Again.

Lachlan

Welcome, Lachlan..

...In my experience it's not what you can see that matters so much but rather, what you can't see. Look under the dash for "tidyness" of the wiring, or lack thereof. The cowl and spinner must be off to see the safety wiring of prop bolts and the general wiring condition. Are the cables/wires held down to prevent movement and/or chafing? What conditiion are the fuel and oil lines in? Are they secured neatly and safely? You get the idea...

Regards,

Yep, I agree with Steve....going to an -8 from a -4 may well prove him right:)

Thanks Steve and Pierre, great advice.

I've heard that the RV-4 is indeed a sweet machine to fly and I was most impressed, but I hadn't heard it to be better than the -8. There is very few of the -8 in New Zealand. Is it a feel or control thing? or more a performance based that makes the -4 better than the -8?

Thanks for the tips.

I've thought about your question...

......and concluded that both the -4 and the -8 are like sports cars.

Having owned Porsches and XKE's, the -4 can be compared to the lithe and zippy 911, whereas the -8 is closer to the Jag, sporty but not quite in the league of the 911....heavier controls and so on. That said, however, the -8 is usually faster and definitely roomier for the bigger guys.

I'm right at 6 feet and 190 pounds and just do fit in the -4, so consider the roominess in your quest.

Regards,

interist in 4 vs 8

I find this topic of interist as I am thinking ahead of what my next future aircraft move may be. My current ride has served me well, but I have gained access to a Bonanza. If this works out I do not need to own a 4 place aircraft. Love the RV & have always liked the 8a. However the cost diff in 4 vs the 8 has my attention:eek:. Most of the time in my current plane it is only me. I have not sat in the RV4, but have sat in the RV3:cool:. It is snug, but could work. Most of the 4's I like have the 150hp with wood prop.

Question is, for me, is the 8 worth $30-40,000 more for just a local flying & short trip plane. Or, at 5'11" & 230# is the 4 to small. Also, what about weight & balance issues with the ocasional passenger?

Shannon Evans

My money on the 4. Centreline seating and fighter like feel of the 4 can't be beat. I am 6ft and 220lbs and fit no problem. Have had some big buggers as pax, but not long distance (2hrs max).

Not a social tourer (I have a 6 for that), but for solo it so much fun I am sure it be illegal soon. I do a 400nm weekly hop for the last 5 years in mine. Never get tired of it. Makes work fun when the drive there is a 1hr hop at 175ts...:D

PS
Given current economic turmoil, why not buy a 4 & 6 for the price of an 8:eek::eek::eek::eek: if the budget anywhere near the $80-$100K the -8 seem to go for. Have been some nice solid built older previously loved 4's & 6's on here for similar price to the newer QB '8's... I have 180hp -4 with CS prop, but I recon 320 with FP is best bang for the buck... Mine holds its own in speed dep with the 200hp 8's, but most of them are heavy.

Best bet is to go fly them yourself if you get a chance. I would not swop my -4 for any other RV, BUT MOMMY AND THE KIDS PREFER THE SIDE BY SIDER....