jump4way

Well Known Member
I am in the process of upgrading the panel of my 4. One question I have is the structural importance of the cross bar that goes behind the lower portion of the panel. Is is possible to cut through that and install radios in the lower area without compromising strength? My best guess tells me it is a bad idea but I am curious what others have done to maximize panel space.

Vestibular part

I left that piece out totally. It didn't do diddly except get in the way. The panel itself adds plenty of transverse stiffness to the fuselage, and there aren't any significant loads there to react anyway. I had 350+ hours on the plane when I sold it and no problems at all.

Thanks for the information Bill. I went through the panel photos on this forum and noticed a lot of people have mounted radios in that area which seems to support your decision as well.

Another option

Just install the panel several inches lower. It will be out of the way of your knees as well as still offering some support.

I moved it

I called Van's and asked about that bar because I wanted to move my panel forward. I was told it does have a structual purpose but not much load. I removed it and used my panel to carry whatever load that bar was carrying. I don't think removing it is a big deal.

panel upgrade

I had to trim out the top part of that bar in order to do a panel upgrade a couple months ago on my -4. I ended up adding strength back to it by riveting on a piece of 90 degree angle on the other side.
I couldn't find a pic of the cutting of the the support bar, but I have a pic of he finished product.

rv-4_panel.jpg

Sub panel

I added another bar below the original one when I took mine out, essentially replaceing one bar for another. The regular panel is probably good for the load, but it could cause a moment in the bulkheads. If you take it completely out, you should probably at least brace the vertical part of the bulkheads so they stay square to the fuselage skin under load.

See photos

I cut a notch and then reinforced. The cross member supports my radios, and is a mouting place for Adel clamps to organize and support wires.