jlisler

Well Known Member
My RV-4 is in the final stages of assembly after about 12 years of on and off construction. A few details remain but the major components are bolted up and most of the systems are on line. The only real problem was a failed Whelen flash tube. It flashed about a dozen times before failing. Of course the warranty expired a long time ago. This is the hazzard of buying stuff, especially electrical components ahead of time.
The airplane has the following:

O-320-E2D converted to 160 HP with large main bearings and high compression pistons. The rotating assembly has been balanced.
Sensenich wood prop with harmonic balancer and 4" prop extension
Dynon D10A
Full Electronics International engine package including fuel level gauge
Angle of Attack, Sport series
Trutrack wing leveler auto-pilot slaved to the GPS
King KY-97 com
King KT-76A transponder
Rear seat foot wells
Oregon Aero foam seat cores with leather covers.
Home brew paint job

Inspection is scheduled for 3-11-07.

Jerry Isler
Donalsonville, GA
RV4 N455J
Cessna C140A N9641A

1232335do3.jpg
1232338ga3.jpg

1232343el6.jpg

Larry and others with strobe systems in storage,
Strobe systems don't like to sit around not used. If you have one of these systems sitting around, hook them up and let them flash for a while once a month.
BTW Larry, beautiful airplane.

Beautiful

Jerry,
Very nice conclusion to your effort. I like your cockpit set-up.

Brian Vickers, RV4 - working on panel
Bainbridge Island, WA

What a beauty! Wish my project was that far, I?m on the canopy safty-lock right now. Did you mount that on your bird? Have you got an approx empty weight yet?
Brgds
Roland Wennstrom
75% completed RV4

Last edited:
Congratulations !

Looks Awesome Jerry! Wish mine were that far along too. I'm working on the Flap actuator installation.
Looking forward to the 1st flight report,

Since I posted my progress report a couple of questions have come up.

The first one was about the panel labels. They were made using a Brother P-touch label machine that uses the TZ series of tape. The machine looks like a minature typewriter. Since my panel is painted a dark color, the standard tape with black letters on a clear background (that you can get anywhere) did not show up very well so I went with white on a clear background. This color combo was not available locally so I had to order it off the internet. From there I printed the labels with a box surrounding the letters. The excess tape outside of the box was carefully trimmed away following the contours of the box. The next hurdle was to place the labels on the panel straight. Thats harder than it looks!

Second question was about the canopy latch. I think you were referring to the safety catch that is suppose to prevent the canopy from flying open in the event the canopy is not properly latched. I struggled with the merits of installing this device because the way it is designed I could see no way that it would really do any good. With the canopy primary latch system in the unlatched position, the primary mechanism is designed to push the safety catch rearward thus also putting it in the unlatched postion. In other words, the safety catch will only do it's job if the primary canopy latch is engaged in the closed position. The primary latch will have to completely fail and cause the latching rods to retract without moving the safety latch in order for the safety to provide any protection. My canopy has to be latched before the safety catch will engage the slot in the cockpit rail. When the primary latch is open it also holds the safety latch open so if the canopy is down but not latched the canopy can be lifted up.

I have spent the last couple of days jotting down items left to complete before the inspection and first flight. There are only 25 things left to do! Thank heavens most are nickle and dime items.

Lastly, my DAR wants $550.00 to do the inspection. This seems a little on the high side doesn't it?

Jerry Isler
Donalsonville, GA (17J)
RV-4 N455J
Cessna C140A N9641A

jlisler said:
....The only real problem was a failed Whelen flash tube. It flashed about a dozen times before failing.....

Jerry Isler
Donalsonville, GA
RV4 N455J
Cessna C140A N9641A

QUOTE]

Very nice airplane, Jerry.

With regard to the Whelen stystem, the problem could be the power source. I had one stored for 5 years going from one airplane to another and it too failed, but I revived it using a Whelen procedure of putting it on a step up voltage schedule for a number of hours. I can not remember the procedure but it may be available online at Whelen or buried somewhere in the original instructions. As far as I know the system is still working and it was purchased around 1982.

Safty latch/catch

Thanks Jerry for Your inputs, I have my doubts too and I haven?t seen any pictures of one installed. But I guess there must be a reason why Vans produced the extra guard for the canopy latch. Maybe someone has come up with an alternate solution? I?ll just put it aside for now.

The price of admission...

Jerry, $550+ is alot for an inspection. The gentleman who inspected my Bandit back in 97' is a DAR in not-too-far-away Lake City FL.

You can contact him via email at: [email protected].

Nice 4, glad to see another one completed in this world of side-by-side nosedraggers...

Rob Ray

E2D conversion

What is involved in adding the large front bearing for the 160HP upgrade?

Jerry Calvert
Edmond Ok
N296JC
RV6