Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
I flew my RV4 for the first time yesterday 1-11-09. Now I know why experienced RV flyer's rave about the 4. What a sweet flying machine.

Jay, you're my hero ! You have more fun any 10 people I know...combined ;-)

Congratulations!

I know what you mean. Been flying my 4 for 18 yrs. and still love it. Dave Ross, Sherwin-Williams Flying RV4, Building RV7

Better than a six?

I flew my RV4 for the first time yesterday 1-11-09. Now I know why experienced RV flyer's rave about the 4. What a sweet flying machine.

I hear you, but how could it possibly be better than a -6........?
The -6 is the best RV ever........:D
Since you had a -6.......tell us how the -4 is different!
Thanks Jay......oh, and Congrats!

Different

Smokey has already said about all there is to be said about the 4.
I think it flies sweet!!! Light and nimble. My first impressions are lighter controls, and ease of landing. I kept flying until the sun went dark ?? Just couldn't get out??, it is a fantastic machine. It has 0-320 Sensenich prop.

I bought this as a fix up project. Always wanted one, just did not want to build. I will play with it for a while and it will eventually go to someone else.

Last edited:
Jay you can make a RV-8 feel comparable to the -4 in roll if you mimic the aileron bellcrank ratio of the -4 and shorten up the elevator bellcrank at the top for pitch. Have a friend who we talked into doing this on his RV-3B, since it uses the same RV-8 bellcrank...he was a happy camper after that mod.

RV-4

I am thinking of buying an RV-4 for my next plane and would like to know of someone in Western South Dakota that might take a prospective rv pilot for a short ride?