Dgamble

Well Known Member
I'm trying to determine the area required to house an assembled RV-4. Can anyone supply values for A thru F?

rv4topviewpd1.jpg

RV4 dimensions.

The measurements you want are not the key ones in my opinion, but here are a couple of your answers:

a = 2* (47.5 plus aprox 4.5)
f = 20' 4.5" that is from the plans and includes tailwheel.

You did not ask, but useful, is span = 23' inc tips, each spar is 127" so span ex tips is 21'2".

One gotcha I would offer, in case you are thinking you will be able to put one wing on and then the other. The -9A I built was well able to support just one wing being installed at a time. The -4 is different and I would not want to work on it like that. In my opinion you do want a stage where both wings are installed - they mutually support each other. You would have to be very accurate with trestles for it not to damage itself over a period of time with just one wing installed. You really need both wings installed to set the wing incidence also.

I hope nothing I have said is a show stopper.

Hope that helps.

Steve -

Thanks, that helps. It looks like I'm ok on fuse length, and I know I can fit the 23' span. The chord measurement of the wing and the width of the fuse (at its widest) are critical, though. I'm going to potentially be working around some support poles, and it looks like it might just fit, as long as the wing chord is less than 72".

-4 dimensions

D???? - If it helps, the wing + flap is about 55.5" front to back of which the wing without flap aileron is 44 or 45. The fuse is about 26/27" wide (it bulges out slightly) except the floor skin overlaps the wings and without the wings on you have around 4" sticking outside the fuselage each side. The cowl cheeks are wider still.

If its this tight I hope you are built like Olive Oil! (Remember Popeye?)

Good luck!

PS Its all in the preview plans.