Tomcat RV4

Well Known Member
I was wondering about smallest fuel efficient engine combo as super fast is not a major concern....I have read about RV6 ....only 150 MPH,but fuel burn
of 4.5 gals.

rv4 lite

5 gals per hour is about 150 mph in my rv4. 0320E2D If you go with less hp, then what do you do at high density altitude? Or if you do feel like going fast.
Believe me, You will feel like going fast in your RV.

5 gals per hour is about 150 mph in my rv4. 0320E2D If you go with less hp, then what do you do at high density altitude?
I'm only a little above that in my -4, loaded FULL GROSS, with my O-360 A1A (180 HP), at 2000'.

However, when it comes time to takeoff, the extra ponies sure help to get it off and up really, really quickly!

The only reason I can see to reduce the engine size in an RV is because you do not have the self discipline to throttle back and fly slower and cheaper. There are much worse conditions to be afflicted with :D

Mo power Scottie..

A CA RV4 driver installed an 0-290D and listed it's weight at around 910 lbs, very basic airplane. Low cost, mucho bang for the buck. However, the 0290 is an orphan and parts are hard to find, especially cases. My RV4 tipped the scales at 935 lbs in 1996 with a narrow deck 0-320 and not much else. A truly great flying airplane. However, less HP means you have less HP when you need it. My HR2 flies nicely at 15" and 2100 RPM burning 5.7 gph doing 125 knots. Full throttle is another story...but nice to have. How much do you really need?
The most efficient CAFE winning RV (Dave Anders RV4) was no slouch on power (220HP estimated) nor was the runner up, the Harmon Rocket prototype. Best RV4 powerplant? The IO-540! :)

Smokey

Last edited:
Big engines.

To be a name dropper, I have known Steve Barnard (aircraft engineer delux by order of OZ)for quite a wile, been lucky enough to flown in his 200hp RV-6A, the one that was entered in the CAFE 400. To make is short and sweet, his take is that the bigger engines make the RV more efficient.

Hey Condor, what are your thoughts on the 320 vs 360 in the 6? This is a case of what would you do the next time. As for me personally if I'm ever lucky enough to afford anouther RV, it will have all the horse power I can afford, I can always throttle back.

Randy

"HEY! WATCH THIS!"

Last edited:
Steve Barnard (aircraft engineer delux by order of OZ)for quite a wile, been lucky enough to flown in his 200hp RV-6A, --
Randy

"HEY! WATCH THIS!"

That was 200 before Lycon got started on it.

Agree that this was a fun ride :D