mcdblj

Have been looking for a while for a RV and came across a complete RV-4 kit for sale. Approx 40% complete. Its in Canada where I reside. It seems the guy inherited the kit. Two questions. Any ideas what would be a fair price for the kit and 2nd is it the RV for me 5'10 190lbs. looking for something to have fun on the weekends and the odd cross country.
Cheers!

I've done many RV appraisals but would need a little more info prior to placing a 'value' on this kit. Unknowns such as what 'is' and what 'is not' there come to mind as well as the quality of the build. Quite frankly I'd be more interested in the quality as the parts are easily appraised. The amount of 'work' done on the kit can work both ways depending on the quality but, one typically does not expect to get the time spent on a kit returned at the time of sale when it is still in 'kit' form.

Is this for you? I'd say you'd slide right in as long as your smile wasn't too big :). I've had 5 RV 4's and for 'just flying' they are my favorite of all the 2 place versions. As long as it that is all you need when it comes to baggage and passenger I think you've made a wise choice.....but again I like RV 4's.

I'd suggest an educated RV builder accompany you when you get to making a purchase.

Welcome to Doug's forums!

Good Luck.

Kit

Hi

As has been said what is or what is not there, and the build quality is the issue. You need someone who knows how to build RV's to look this over preferably someone who has built a 3,4, or 6.

I am bemused by you asking whether someone of your dimensions will fit, there are lots of threads on this but 5'10 and 190 is hardly an issue. If you are long in the leg short in the body just have the seats made to suit this.:D:D

I love my 4!!! I am 5'08 165lbs....... my buddy is a 6 footer 200 lbs, I use my Oregon Aero seats which are very comfortable, he just takes the seat back out and puts in a thin one and fits fine.

Thank You

Thank You for all your help everyone! I appreciate you taking the time to read and reply. I had the kit inspect by a aircraft structure engineer. He said that the quality of the build so far is excellent. controls are completed, fuse in the jig, wings to close. Only thing missing are the builders logs.
is there anyone close to the CYQG area with a 4? I would like to come and take a look at a another build or completed A/C

Whoa!

I VERY strongly recommend that you have the kit inspected by someone who has built a -4. There are lots of potential "gotchas". Are the fuel tanks mounted on the wings and were they removed so that the inspector could see the flanges for example? If the fuse is still in the jig what needs to be completed to get it out if the jig? Is everything as per Vans?

I understand TC can be picky - so be careful!

Good luck,

Chris