RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Gents

Is there anyone here as part of phase 1 or as a personnal test who will have a fairly good idea of the RV-4 glide/ratio..

I bought my -4 already flying so never actually tested the glide ratio.

Thanks for your imputs..

Bruno
[email protected]

Sitting in the cockpit in flight, look out at your left wingtip and find the point on the ground that you can just see over the wingtip. Now draw an imaginary arc around the nose to the same point just above the right wingtip. This is about how far you can glide, power off - no wind. Obviously, the higher you are, the more ground that arc covers. Try it at the airport on base leg, or straight in on final. For the best range, maintain your best glide speed - probably about 80 knots or so - until landing assured.

Last edited:
Sitting in the cockpit in flight, look out at your left wingtip and find the point on the ground that you can just see over the wingtip. Now draw an imaginary arc around the nose to the same point just above the right wingtip. This is about how far you can glide, power off - no wind. Obviously, the higher you are, the more ground that arc covers. Try it at the airport on base leg, or straight in on final. For the best range, maintain your best glide speed - probably about 80 knots or so - until landing assured.

Wow Scott, I'm going to try that out as soon as I get some flying weather. How did you come by this little diddy??? Interesting. Something to play with, huh. :D

Cheers,

For those with glass panels - at least the GRT Horizon HX that I have - it will show you how far you can glide. Just set the altitude target to the ground elevation, and a green arc will appear on the moving map showing where you will hit. The calculation is based on ground speed so it includes the effect of the wind. Try different glide speeds to maximize the range.

GLIDE RATIO

Thanks a lot for the info guys,that is close to what I thought

I figured I could glide about 1.75 miles per 1000' so I was close to Smkey's number on the other thread..

Now to practice next chance I have..

Cheers

Bruno