DrWalker

I just finished bending the first set of longerons and clamping things together. Bulkheads 402, 404, 409, 410, and 412 in place - everything seems in correct alignment and spacing.

However, bulkhead #407 does not have a slot to accomodate the longeron. It appears that the slot should be located at junction of the upper portion (where the top piece faces backward). And it seems structurally more sound to slot the bulkhead, but I recall reading somewhere that there was an occasion to slot the longeron.

And what is the best tool for slotting an assembled bulkhead (assuming that's where the slot goes)?

Insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Seat Back

This is the seat back which is made up from parts. Where the longeron goes through you need to cut a slot with tin snips and a file. On mine the slot is directly below the top curved section of the bulkhead.

From memory this is best positioned when the skins go on as there is an overlap to contend with, I think the positioning of the slot becomes obvious then.

Whatever you do - don't slot the Longeron at this point! The only longeron slot I know (based on the -3, which is just a really short -4) is back at the horizontal tail spar attach points.

Cutting a slot in the bulkhead is easy with a band saw or simple snips. A die grinder will also work.

407 Bulkhead

I think when you install the upper part of the bulk head you end up with the slot needed for the longeron

11c9hc3.jpg
[/IMG]

Got it - thanks!

Wow, I was hoping for one insight - got four + the photo was most helpful.
Thanks a bunch!