rvman008

I was helping a friend remove his fuel tank and it will not come off. Yes, the screws, lines, bolt is removed. It appears that maybe the tank sealant is stuck to the spare. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do about it?

Patrick

RV-4 Tank Removal

Patrick,
The -4 tank is a different from a -6, etc. All the screws countersink's are all dimpled, none are machine -countersunk. And, this is true for both rows of screws.

So, on my -4 I had to make wooden wedges from Pine which are placed 6" or so apart to peel the tank skin out of the dimples and then pull the tank off.

Dave Gehle
RV-4, RV-6A, J3-C65 (in pieces)
KHBZ
Heber Springs, Arkansas

stuck tank

I was helping a friend remove his fuel tank and it will not come off. Yes, the screws, lines, bolt is removed. It appears that maybe the tank sealant is stuck to the spare. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do about it?

Patrick

I helped a friend get his off and it was stuck in much the same way you describe...the screws are dimpled and that is what is holding it and possible a little proseal as well. If you lay underneath the plane and pull down on the leading edge, while pushing up on the bottom rear of the tank (essentially using some leverage) to get the top to come up and out of the countersunk holes.....It takes quite a bit of pressure but should come..but once it does the bottom can be worked out as well......Worked for us anyway :)

If you are careful, you can use a long pry bar or screwdriver and get it between the front attach bracket of the tank and the fuselage bracket and use it as a lever to break the tank away a little at the spar and then it is easy to work it free.