rfidler

I'm New Here
30 year old RV4 has fuel tank leak issues. It is a small leak but never less a leak. I have heard all the tales about how to fix and they all come to the same conclusion. The leak may be fixed for a period of time but the tank will 99.9% leak again either at the same point or a new place. Some people have told me the correct way to repair is to replace the whole tank with a tank made by a pro who is an expert at using PROSeal. What do you think??

30 year old RV4 has fuel tank leak issues. It is a small leak but never less a leak. I have heard all the tales about how to fix and they all come to the same conclusion. The leak may be fixed for a period of time but the tank will 99.9% leak again either at the same point or a new place. Some people have told me the correct way to repair is to replace the whole tank with a tank made by a pro who is an expert at using PROSeal. What do you think??

Depends on the location of the leak. If leaking at an access plate or sender it will be a simple fix. If leaking through a rivet it might be more involved depending on access from inside of the tank.

Biggest issue is whether or not the tanks were sealed with slosh compound at some time in the past 30 years. That can be a safety problem and a major job to remove.

My '90 model had peeling slosh in both tanks, so I removed the entire rear baffle and used every solvent known to man in order to get it all out. I then used the tank sealant that Vans sells and sealed every seam and rivet head. Installed a new rear baffle then used the closed end pop rivets with generous ammounts of sealant. After all that, it still had a few leaks along the seam that needed re-sealed.