mikkee1

Hi folks,

I'm in the Service and transferred from Canada to DC this summer for three years. I want to take my RV-4 with me for the duration. Does anyone know if there are any special customs/FAA requirements I need to take care of? Has anybody else done this before?

A DF steer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike
C-GJIP

I have not done this before but I think your plane will have to come back into Canada at least once a year. TC wants this not the FAA. Check with TC before you go.

www.faa.gov

You just need to apply for an N number if you stay. There is a detailed description of this procedure on the faa website under foreign registrations. Give it a shot...eh?

Rob Ray

stay?

Mike,
I have bought a completed RV-6 frm a guy in Canada and transfered the plane over and got an "N" number. It is a small PITA, but doable and costs a few dollars to boot.
Would you clairify your intentions?
I would think you are going back to Canada and would like to do the cheapest and easiest, which I would think as a previous posted said, fly back once a year, if that actually works.
Good Luck

Mike, you are far better leaving this as a Canadian registered aircraft. That way, you will not be required to pay personal property taxes in the US, or PST and GST when you return to Canada.

As Norm advised, just make sure you fly it back to Canada occassionally to keep it legal.

You will need to maintain it as a Canadian aircraft, and file the TC paperwork at annual, and pay the NavCan fee annually.

Finally, talk to your insurance company.

Vern