Tomas J

If you use to fly X-plane flight simulator and like to try my RV-4, you are welcome to download it from here ...
The machine is under construction, both in reality and in X-plane. I have taken picture of the real panel and put it into X-plane. As you can see there is still work to do on the panel - but it is good enough to fly in X-plane.

Just unzip the file and install the folder to your X-plane library. Then you select the "Tomas RV-4" and "SE-TOJ" and you can take off... but to get the horizon corrrect you need to go to "Settings>Rendering Options>Lateral field of view" and change the value to 052.00
If you don't have X-plane, you can download a demo from www.x-plane.com and fly for five minutes before you lose your stick.

As I have to lay my time on the real RV-4, I will be happy if someone like to go on with this RV-4. It need to be painted... and how knows, If I like the way you paint it, I might make the real one the same.

If you try it - please let me know what you think... can it be to any help for the real flying...

xplane_rv4.jpg

Approach to Innsbruck in my RV-4 wich have not yet left the garage...

Last edited:
Cool :) Some years ago I made an airfoil application for x-plane. I used JavaFoil or Xfoil to calculate the polars, then my program translated the data into x-plane foils. It is still downloadable at the 3rd party dowload site at x-plane somewhere. Anyway, I made new (and presumably much more correct) foils for your RV and modded your file. I think the stall characteristics and pitching moments are somewhat closer to real life now. You can have the foils if you want to, but I don't have any download site.

Much better stall characteristics

Many thanks Bjørnar for the files you sent me. The RV-4 is definitely better after your modification. The stall characteristics are much better, smoother and more kindly. And it handle aerobatic much better.
It would be nice to get a comment from pilots that have experience from the real 4. You are all welcome to download the modified plane from here: Tomas_RV4_mod_1

Last edited:
thanks for sharing

I jsut downloaded your RV-4 for FSX. Very cool !!!

My flight simulator PC is pile of cables and stuff since moving to camp Victory a few days ago. Was practicing with the P-51 thinking it was the closest I would ever get.

Dont have the skills or experience to help yet, but can offer sincer thanks and appreciation. Maybe test it by August...

Cheers, Dan