Jetj01

Well Known Member
Some of you have been asking to 'see' my RV-4 FB progress. Well today I rolled it out of the shop and took a picture. I've been working on the canopy for the last few weeks and about done. It is a scratch built fiberglass unit and I like the look, but don't know if I'd do it again!

Jj
Building RV-4 Fastback
RV-6
YAK 50
N. Texas

my.php

Last edited:
The back

I did a custom turtledeck FB-4, I didn't use the harmon kit. I did use the same Todd's canopy, but I set it much higher. Mine is more "fastback". Otherwise we are very similar and I like it all the same. I'll post a pic soon.

Cowl interference?

Hi Jj,
Does your cowl rear piece (the triangular piece) cover some of the upper forward skin? My buddy is building a -4 in my hangar and when the lower cowl is raised to make the lower radius match the fuselage, then it seems a little too high up top and the rear sections overlap the fuselage top skin and cover a couple of the screw holes. Did you have a similar problem?

Thanks,

Common 'problem'

Pierre,

This is the way the aft triangles work/fit out, on both the Sam James and standard cowl. One could trim them and just use all the fasteners in the back portion to hold it, grind them down so they are thinner and not as noticable, or like my last RV, just overlap them and put the screws thru both....but it is generally made that way and subject to your interpretation.

Tailwinds,

RR Rocket Ranch

Hi JJ,
Nicely done! Is that a Hartzell out front? What engine? I have an 83' RV4 kit sitting in my hangar now and have many wild thoughts...sell, build HR2, -4 fastback, whitewater canoe, skinny camping trailer, hmmm...:)
Anyway, my F-18/F-5 buddy Skids has left his HR2 with me for awhile so I have 2 Rockets and an RV4 at the Swamp...huge grin for me dude.

Missed you at SNF, I had a large crowd and time! OSH?
Seeya!

Smokey
RV4, Double HR2's
F16 till Sept..

Last edited:
Sorry I missed it!

Hey Smokey,

Sorry I missed the shindig. I was with a group of people again this year at SnF and it was like herding cats to get anywhere with just two rental cars...I did however go by the -16s looking for you a couple times but they seemed to be staffed with youngin's only...HA!

My -4 has an O-360 A1A with a brand new Hartzel BA prop. Wanted to get a Hoffman like my -6 has but the prices on them have gone nuts. Working on putting the round rings in the cowl tonight....another baby step every day!

Two Rockets, life must be good!

We need to talk

Hey Smoke,
I'm kinda sitting on my a$$ these days and if you need a partner to fly the OTHER rocket, I can be there in under two hours :D . Call me anyway,
Pierre