rv7charlie

Well Known Member
Anyone who's done the conversion to electric trim have pics or installation docs available, showing the needed work to the elevator to mount the trim motor?

Thanks,

Charlie

(If you feel the need to tell me *not* to do it, I haven't made the decision yet but I've probably already read your opinion in previous posts. :) )

RV-4 elctric trim

Charlie,
I installed the Ray Allen electric trim in my -4, but I dont have pics handy. The "kit" from RA came with drawings for the skin cut-out in the elevator as well as the attach bracket and pushrod. Since I never had the manual trim cable installed, I dont have the hole cut for the cable, however, that isnt going to hurt anything. I ran my wire bundle through the back of the empenage fairing and into the L/E opening of the elevator. You may need to re-balance the elevator after installing the servo. I also installed electric aileron trim in my left aileron, and the electric flaps, with all the controls on the MAC stick grip. I couldnt be happier with the function of the trims, and never have to take my hand off the stick. Also saves on cockpit space with a reduction of levers and knobs,ect. Feel free to send me a PM if you need pictures or further questions answered...I can take some and also still have my install drawings.

I have done the conversion on my RV4 and a couple other peoples RV4's many years ago. I think I have the paper work out in the hangar somewhere. I will dig around this afternoon and see if I can find the templates. As I recall its a simple doubler on the bottom of the elevator skin and two brackets to mount the servo to and of course an access door. Another possible option. Warren Gretz (Gretz Aero) used to provide a short trim cable for purchase. This allowed you to mount the servo in the emenage area and have the servo run the short cable to the tab, that way all you had to do was remove the long cable and install a few wires.
Ryan

Charlie,
I found the print and instructions. All simple stuff most of us have lying around. Send me a pm with your email address and I will take a few pictures and send them to you.
Ryan